NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is what happens it is sparatic but it is occouring more often by the day.
what will happen is i get in, hear a loud click from like under the hood aera and thats it.
what could this be?
I just got a new battery and new starter a month ago.
what can be wrong now?
mabye the baterey is dead?
also if i let it make that click noise mabye 6-7 times eventually it will start.
pleese some input

·
253 Posts
I think whoever replaced your battery and starter did not tighten all connections securely. If your dash lights are not acting funny, it's probably at the starter.
juice

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats the thing.
even after it makes that click, nothing dims and everything works fine in the car even my radio amp and subs
i just wonder why i can click it like 6 times then it will finally start...
and i know this might sound weird.. but last time this kinda happened it was alos about the same temp outside.....?
when its warm.... 40 deg and up it seems to be fine

·
253 Posts
Check the battery connection AT THE STARTER. The connections at the battery could be tight, which would allow everything else to work fine. Since your starter was recently replaced, it is reasonable to assume that the mechanic did not tighten the nut on that terminal properly.
juice

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Schady, where's your dancing SmileyFace avatar? ;)

And, I hope you find the gremlin in your engine! :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohhh the fun danceing guy, lol
it wasent a saved picture i had, and i havent done anything to my user cp since i re regestered

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so tonight at work, I got in my car to go home and turned the key and nothing.
Just one loud click and everything in the car came on ... stero fans and whatever. well after trying this like 10 or 15 times it finally starts?
but i just bought a batterey in dec.?
2months and a dead batterey allready?
and if it was a dead batterey how come all the accesories still work and it will eventually start?
I hope its not the alternator or something major.
pleese some help

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
I had to have the starter solenoid replaced on my 2002 1.8t sport before it had 400 miles on the odometer. You have some of the symptoms. It wouldn't fail all the time, everything else still worked, no dimming...I can't remember if my blower fans worked or not because my dad always told me never to leave those on after shutting a car down. Anyway, I heard the 'click' and after about 15-20 minutes of EXTREME :cuss: and clicking, the car would start, or I' lose my patience, swallow my pride and push my brand new car to start it.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Sounds like you are having a problem with the starter solenoid.
The solenoid acts like a big switch to turn the starter on and off for some reason it sounds like its not making proper contact inside. I have seen brand new starters do this right out of the box

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Somebody had mentioned a recall involving the immobilizer system shutting the car down under a certain temperature...Just throwing that out there. It does sound like a solenoid though.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Oyveychris said:
Somebody had mentioned a recall involving the immobilizer system shutting the car down under a certain temperature...Just throwing that out there. It does sound like a solenoid though.
If it were the immobilizer system, I would think that the car would start, but immediately shutdown. I'd be willing to bet money on the solenoid since (s)he hears the click when attempting to start it.

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Once again I feel its the solenoid not pulling in fully repeated attempts finally makes it pull in enough to make the connections even though you had it replaced only a month ago thats were I would start. One thing else that just came to mind
check the voltage at the starter connection could possibly have a bad cable running to the starter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i went to autozone today.
and had them check everything out (for free) :)
and the alternator is good and it checked out to be working ok as well as the batterey.
so the only thing left would be the starter i assume....
and i bought a starter like a month ago and it is still under warrenty so i will just go exchange it and prolly upgrade and pay the diffrence for a better one.
but yea the problem stays consistant, i will turn the key just and hear just one click....
then after doing that mabye 10 times it starts up fine, which makes me think it has to be the starter and nothign else such as the ignitoin switch.
cause the car does turn over

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am doin all that tommorow, i hope thats what it is and not the actual starter itself cause i just bought this thing a month ago and if it has allready gone bad , i will be a little mad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts