NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11164199/

Ok, if you ask me these people are off their rocker. They will burn flags, burn effigy's of world leaders, they chastise their governments and the rest of the world's on top of it, and the really radical ones blow themselves up and set themselves on fire.

Then someone comes along, draws some charictures of Mohammad, and boom, civil unrest. What gets me is, they apparently did it back in September, and NOW it's a big deal.

Anyone else think the Muslims want it both ways?

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
Same newspaper refused to run cartoons which lampooned Jesus because they thought it would be "offensive" and "not funny"

Lots of horrible things have been done in Jesus' name as well....much worse than what has ensued over these blasphemous cartoons.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I must be out in the dark. Does anyone have a link to the cartoons that have all those people upset?
Does anyone know what the guy looked like anyway? So how do they know that the cartoon looks like him to start with?
From another article, they said that there is no prohibition against pictures of the prophet in the Quran. So, what's all the fuss?

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lojasmo said:
Lots of horrible things have been done in Jesus' name as well....much worse than what has ensued over these blasphemous cartoons.
What's so blasphemous about it, I mean really. It's against MUSLIM culture to show pictures of Mohammed. Last I checked, if you weren't muslim, you aren't required to follow their laws. Hence you can draw anything you want.

:home: <- Mohammed

Mmmm Beer

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:
What's so blasphemous about it, I mean really. It's against MUSLIM culture to show pictures of Mohammed. Last I checked, if you weren't muslim, you aren't required to follow their laws. Hence you can draw anything you want.

Mmmm Beer
I don't see what the bid deal is anyway, its just a cartoon, but SOME people in this country get all bent out of shape if Jesus is referred to as black. (Something about a dark-skinned reference in the Bible:confused: )

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Severecaraddict said:
I don't see what the bid deal is anyway, its just a cartoon, but SOME people in this country get all bent out of shape if Jesus is referred to as black. (Something about a dark-skinned reference in the Bible:confused: )
Probably the same people who go all crazy and freak about Harry Potter and his ways of witchcraft

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:
Probably the same people who go all crazy and freak about Harry Potter and his ways of witchcraft
I was thinking of my Grandmother in my previous post, and you hit the nail right on the head in this one. She thinks Harry Potter is evil. :D

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
OK, off I go on another tangent... I'm not saying that all Muslims are bad. I'm saying that there are some (whom just happen to be the ones that the media likes to show on the evening news) that act like a bunch of ill-tempered, undisciplined 3rd graders. And who in their right mind takes them seriously? Case in point just look at this picture!:rolleyes:
WTF?!?!?!?
The minute they don't get what they want (no matter how absurd) they take to the streets and burn flags and shoot their AK-47's in the air. And god forbid they should find constructive ways to resolve their problems. And now I see pictures on MSNBC where they were burning a Danish as well as an American Flag! WTF? So even if we didn't do this we are still to blame? Give me just a little break here! Duh!!!
"We hate America because of the freedoms that we can't have, so lets blow it up!":rolleyes: For a culture and religion that is so anti-American, they sure do have a knack for consuming our products. "I want to look and act like an American even though they are evil":rolleyes:

No kidding, I saw soooo many people over there in Nike's wearing Blue Jeans.....Give me a break.
"No mister Muslim man, that head dress clashes with that striped shirt!"
I wonder if they realize just how stupid they look running around, hooping and hollering LA LA LABA LABA LA LA!! Geesh, give us just a little break! Seen it already and way tired of it by now!
You know I'm going to open a chain of Flag and Petroleum stores in the middle-east. I should make a Billion dollars in no time flat!

Oh and yeah, I've got news for you! Where you're going after you blow up the plane, building or bus....Just so we're clear on this...Don't expect to see any virgins! And dress light! OK?
And no, unlike you guys, we wont take to the street and burn flags and yell out loud, we'll just kick your ass!

So i guess the message they are sending out this time is that "You can do what ever you want as long as it suits us" Paaa-lease! Why don't we just make up the rules as we go?
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm being sarcastic. But I think people have more important things to worry about other than a cartoon!:rolleyes: And if they hadn't based their attacks on the west on the teachings of their religion....well I don't think the cartoon would have never been drawn now would it? They have to know that they are sending out a negative message and that their actions make them the laughing stock of the world community!

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:

Mmmm Beer
It is considered to be blasphemous by muslims....just as christicans might consider a picture of Jesus raping an alterboy to be blasphemous.

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
There was a hubbub six years ago in the ramp up before the Summer Olympics (or the World Cup, I'm not sure which.) Seems that McDonalds was putting "Flags of the World" on their cups, bags, fry containers, etc...

One of the flags they used was that of Saudi Arabia, which apparently in the script has a holy message "There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah" There was a world wide Muslim outrage, because it is against Muslim law to desecrate anything with this saying, until McD's pulled the items. They had to agree to "dispose of them in an appropriate manner." It was a different world then, it was fixed and no one burned any buildings over it.

FIFA also wanted to release a soccer ball bearing all the flags of the participants of the 2002 World Cup. Saudi officials said that kicking the creed with the foot was completely unacceptable, and the plan was scrapped.

Putting that message on the ORG might get us on some watch list... :rolleyes:

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lojasmo said:
It is considered to be blasphemous by muslims....just as christicans might consider a picture of Jesus raping an alterboy to be blasphemous.
Hmmm, again, I am not Muslim, therefore I am not bound to there laws, and neither are the papers who created these depictions of there fearless leader.

Mmmm Beer!

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
Agreed, on some level, but sometimes we have to be concernd with the feelings of others. If someone started publishing "humorous" cartoons of say, Jesus raping an alterboy, there would be world wide outcry by Christians...would things get burnt down, probably not, but we would be upset.

So, is this justified anger, yes, IMHO, but not justified actions.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GatorBeetle said:
Agreed, on some level, but sometimes we have to be concernd with the feelings of others. If someone started publishing "humorous" cartoons of say, Jesus raping an alterboy, there would be world wide outcry by Christians...would things get burnt down, probably not, but we would be upset.

So, is this justified anger, yes, IMHO, but not justified actions.
As you said upset, but not to the point of destruction, and I highly doubt we would blame a country that had no responsibility to what happened.

IE - India has people draw "Jesus raping an alterboy", and not only do we take our agression on India, but Pakistan and China as well, because they border India so they MUST have their hands in it too.

Besides, considering what is going on with the Catholic church, surprises me no one has done it yet, to be quite honest.

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
But we control Europe and its newspapers, as we do our own...didn't you know that?!? That is why they are attacking us... ;)

Seriously, though, this is ridiculous, there is no doubt, but we are dealing with a mostly undereducated population which is controlled by a few educated and bigoted people, who will use any excuse these days to attack the US or our allies. Are the cartoons wrong, possibly, were the European papers a bit over the top with the cry of "Free Speech??" Probably...but my biggest point is, given the world climate, someone involved with publishing, and then standing behind these images SHOULD have expected something like this.

Should we all walk on eggshells for the rest of our lives? No, but the support these images have gotten seems to be a bit more than it should have been. They weren't dealing with Greenpeace or the ACLU when they cried "FREE PRESS" but the entire Muslim World, not a group currently known for being very forgiving to the West right now.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
Just a point, but nearly 20% of the world's population is Muslim.

If we cannot show respect for what they believe, why should they return the favor?

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really Mature:

Bush, Rice told to ‘shut up’ over cartoon issue
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11251690/

And the best line in the article:

“Let (U.S. Secretary of State) Condoleezza Rice, (President) Bush and all the tyrants shut up: We are a nation that can’t forgive, be silent or ease up when they insult our prophet and our sacred values.”
They can't forgive (SHOCKER!) but they expect everyone else to bow to their wishes. While I understand this is a radical group making these comments, it kinda speaks to the whole of the people you see in the violent protests, because they are on the radical end of the scale as well.

Also, the comment of their sacred values, hell, there are tons of people who hold Free Speech sacred. What's the difference? Other than some religous thing!

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
dgoldbe2 said:
Just a point, but nearly 20% of the world's population is Muslim.

If we cannot show respect for what they believe, why should they return the favor?
There is lack of respect and there is destruction of property and trying to kill people. Yes, I feel we should respect their religion and beliefs, as I believe we should respect those with differing beliefs here in the US, but contrary to their statements in the past, we are not waging war on their religion, but on Terrorism and "WMD's" :lol:

Sadaam was not a religious man, he used the religious differences in his country to control it, but he was most secular. His Information Minister, Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf , was a Christian. Despite my feeling on our motives, we did not go into Iraq to battle Islam, we went after Sadaam, but they make it out to be otherwise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts