VW Beetle Forum banner

Dash Lighting Issues

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  brandontoner 
#1 ·
My girlfriend has a 1999 beetle, and the lighting behind the speedometer isn't working, but all of the turn signals / warning light are working. I've checked all fuses in the driver side door compartment, and they were all fine. I pulled the gauge cluster out and it seemed to have all led lighting inside, so I doubt that all of those leds simultaneously burnt out, while none of the other ones did. I also noticed that the light for the dial to adjust the brightness of the gauge lighting wasn't working. I was thinking that it could be either the headlight switch itself, the dimmer dial, or some relay somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas, or has had similar problems?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The fuse for the instrument panel illumination is #3. If that fuse is good, check #4 as well. It is for the license plate lamps and uses the same contacts in the headlight switch. So, if fuse 4 is good and the license plate lamps don't work either then your headlight switch is bad.

#4 ·
I'm thinking that it is the dimmer dial. The #3 and the #4 fuses were fine, and the license plate lights work. I was looking at a wiring diagram, it seems like all the other things controlled by the dimmer dial don't work either, like the illumination behind the lock / unlock buttons, mirror adjustments, trunk release, and the heater light. I'm going to go see if my local dealership has one in stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.