VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Beetle convertible, almost 100k miles. For a while now a number of lights have been lit up on the dash: Airbag, ESP, low tire pressure and until recently the EPC light. Not sure about the airbag, but the ESP goes on and off at will. The tires are not low, they are new and i've been checking them weekly just to make sure they have the correct air pressure. Didn't do anything in particular to make the EPC light go out, but it either burned out or fixed itself (HA). Now, the speedometer, odometer, etc. LED that lights up when you turn the car on doesn't shut off when you turn the car off. But you can get it to shut off after you turn the car off by turning the lights on and off. Has anybody else experience their dash going nuts like this? Looking for suggestions as you can guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, all those lights mean something; to know, what the specific problem is... you need a vw compatible scan tool. Once you get the codes; you can look them up, on the ross tech wiki and figure out what they mean, what to do, to troubleshoot and repair the problem.

The speedo cluster icon meanings: should be in your owner's manual.

https://www.google.com/search?q=war...=wlKVVf-MFIfItQXq1rLQDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply however it’s not a matter of what the lights mean, I know what all the lights are supposed to tell me. I was just wondering if, with all the lights on and the gauge lights acting funny if there is some sort of gremlin in the dash. That just seems to be an abnormal amount of idiot lights on all at the same time. In addition to those listed problems, the turn signal sounds like it’s staying on when it’s not. Once I turn a corner and it shuts off, you can hear the blinker in the dash and it’s running real fast, probably for about 15 seconds, then it shuts off. I was just curious if all this is tied together somehow. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Have you scanned the car for trouble codes with a vw compatible scanner? Most electrical issues; will throw a vw specific trouble code and this can narrow down the problem. As far as the turn signal going goofy; sometimes, the turn signal stalk/lever will wear out and have intermittent grounding issues. I suppose; there could be a issue with the speedo cluster, board problems or the plug having solder joint issues. Getting the trouble codes; can really help, if there is some being thrown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right, i need to start there. That takes a special kind of scanner right? Something a place like Autozone wouldn't have?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
You might check for the vw specific scanners on amazon.com; you can stick with a basic code reader like the VS450 for under $50. This will not do live data and more advanced features but will read the vw specific codes and this could really help your troubleshooting process. They have higher end hand held vw scan tools that do live data and possibly some coding capabilities like the ES680 (under $100). The vw pro factory level scan tool is VCDS from Ross Tech ($250-$350). For a non vw specific scan tool; to read live data and obd II codes; many are buying a wireless obdII ELM 327 adapter, a ios/android app like Dashcommand and use it with their mobile device (tablet/ipad, phone/iphone).
So, it depends on how much you want to spend but even a basic vw specific code reader, can help allot and be purchased on amazon, for less than $50.

Amazon.com: vag scanner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts