NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Color: flat black
Method: spray can (used one of those sprayer handle attachments which REALLY helped it lay down nice and even).
Dry sanded through the coating then wet sanded the rest. 2 coats of primer sanded in between followed by 3 flat top coats.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
nice job

SO you ended up not using the flat enamel clearcoat?

What did you use to protect the paint? Are you keeping the paint flat?

I was wondering if the flat surface scratches more than a glossy surface. Thanks for the tips on the project!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reply to paint

SO you ended up not using the flat enamel clearcoat?
Correct! The stuff gunked up the second it hit the base coat.

What did you use to protect the paint? Are you keeping the paint flat?
Using nothing.The majority of the scratches/blemishes were due to the factory coating being scratched. Worse comes to worse, I'll just repaint (easier next time :) The flat I used is called "Painter's Touch" by Rustoleum. It is just slightly lighter in color compared to factory. I will keep it flat.

I was wondering if the flat surface scratches more than a glossy surface. Thanks for the tips on the project!
I would imagine a gloss, unless a lighter color like white or tan, would show the scratches more. I'll have better info in a few months I would guess. Taking my time working on the radio/climate control, but I'll post pics on that when complete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took the center panel off, the one with all the stuff. Used Scotch Brite pads and then some 600 grit wet dry. Used some stuff like Armour All to get to a semi-gloss look. BUT yours looks nicer!!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Thanks for the tips on prepping the surfaces. Yours came out great. I've been thinking about painting mine the same color as is on the car, platinum gray.
I've had the forward most dash panel off before when I replaced my cabin filter. How are the other pieces to remove? I'm thinking about doing the grab handle end pieces, vase holder & other piece on the drivers side (is there a name for it, LOL?).
How are they removed?

Thanks, and again, nice work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts