NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a question I hope I can get some feedback on. This morning on my drive to work, I hit a nasty cement bump I didn't anticipate. A couple of minutes into my morning commute, the Fuel Cap Indicator (or the car with what looks like the screw coming from its side) popped on. I didn't smell gasoline and my commute was fine. I parked my car at work and waited a few minutes, then checked underneath my car to see if I can see liquid or damage, and I didn't notice anything. I don't think think it's my fuel cap as the last time I put gas was on Saturday. Perhaps the gas came loose after that nasty bump or perhaps a sensor? I had a smog test done in late August 2012 and my car passed without any problems. And about 2 1/2 years ago, I had my catalytic converter replaced under extended warranty.

I haven't gone to have the code read or gone down to my car since I parked. Is there any suggestion of what it could be?

Your feedback is appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The light means that a leak in the evaporative emissions system was detected. The car has no way to know if the leak is from the gas cap or from something else. The assumption is that it will usually be the gas cap. In this case there may be a leak somewhere else caused by the pothole.

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrrreat. So I suppose the next course of action (if after I turn on my car and light hasn't gone away) is to get it checked by an OBD II reader?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'd say to try taking the gas cap off and putting it back on. If the light comes on again get the code read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts