NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added this in politics, due to the whole FCC type of content.

But it's official, David Lee Roth will be taking over for the majority of the stations currently playing Howard Stern. On the West Coast, Adam Corolla will be taking over many of the stations.

David Lee Roth appeared on the Stern show to discuss his new show. During the interview, it was revealed that many of the current K-Rock stations will be changing formats to "Free FM". Obviously, a slap in the face to Sirius by promoting that their radio will be free to listeners. However, station manager Tom Chiusano commented that "Free" was more a hint that they will be "Free Speech". Which is rather humorous.

Anyway. Supposedly, David Lee Roth will be paid $4,000,000 a year for taking over the Stern stations. He seems convinced that he'll have no trouble transitioning from rock star to DJ. However, it seems like quite a gamble for the radio stations. Stern spent years building up his show and to franchise it across the country. It seems odd to take someone with no experience, put him on, and expect everyone to just follow along. It'll be very interesting to see how well he does. So far, David Lee does not have any writers or side kicks, and has no intentions of getting any. He is pro-freedom and feels he will have a political type radio show, yet admits that he never votes and knows nothing about politics. Should be interesting. ;)

I couldn't find an article about today's revelations (should be coming soon). But did find this . . .

David Lee Roth to Succeed Howard Stern

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
So Pete - Is Roth going to be in your city?
They did say he would be in Dallas -but I'll have Sirius installed by then anyway:D

I'm sure if Howard goes to rerun or something I will check the show out since I'll have access to it. I kinda wanted Adam Corolla, but hey, whatever.

They are just now talking about the Free FM here in Dallas (delay).

I do think it is odd that they can come in and carve up and existing network that someone else built, but he is going away and they do have the network in place - so I suppose that it's theirs to do what they want with it.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, we too will be getting David Lee Roth. I'm curious how it will all go. I agree, they have the network, they may as well use it. I just have my doubts as to whether or not they can pull it off once Stern leaves.

It was reported last week that the last three months (I'm assuming July, August and September) were the first months that Sirius outsold XM). So it looks like Stern is starting to make his mark. I got my radio in July. :)

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
pdoel said:
Added this in politics, due to the whole FCC type of content.

But it's official, David Lee Roth will be taking over for the majority of the stations currently playing Howard Stern. On the West Coast, Adam Corolla will be taking over many of the stations.

David Lee Roth appeared on the Stern show to discuss his new show. During the interview, it was revealed that many of the current K-Rock stations will be changing formats to "Free FM". Obviously, a slap in the face to Sirius by promoting that their radio will be free to listeners. However, station manager Tom Chiusano commented that "Free" was more a hint that they will be "Free Speech". Which is rather humorous.

Anyway. Supposedly, David Lee Roth will be paid $4,000,000 a year for taking over the Stern stations. He seems convinced that he'll have no trouble transitioning from rock star to DJ. However, it seems like quite a gamble for the radio stations. Stern spent years building up his show and to franchise it across the country. It seems odd to take someone with no experience, put him on, and expect everyone to just follow along. It'll be very interesting to see how well he does. So far, David Lee does not have any writers or side kicks, and has no intentions of getting any. He is pro-freedom and feels he will have a political type radio show, yet admits that he never votes and knows nothing about politics. Should be interesting. ;)

I couldn't find an article about today's revelations (should be coming soon). But did find this . . .

David Lee Roth to Succeed Howard Stern

Just curious, has Diamond Dave learned how to speak in complete sentences?

Will topics range to other things besides himself?

Wow, I would've thought there would be better choices out there, but that's just one blonde's opinion. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
From the sounds of it - they will be watching the ratings close and it could be that the people with the better ratings will be able to overtake more of the network - so it might be interesting to see if Dave has the juice to take over Corrola or vice versa.

Dave seems like a deep thinker and he has alot of personal stuff that he has kept out of the press so it could be interesting if he opens up like Howard and does the same type of show.
However he did say he would play music, so it probably will end up being a music morning show with not much substance.
At least we know that Adam corrola can vamp for hours on end with his rants.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
angelworks said:
Just curious, has Diamond Dave learned how to speak in complete sentences?

Will topics range to other things besides himself?

Wow, I would've thought there would be better choices out there, but that's just one blonde's opinion. ;)
It's funny you should ask. David feels he will be a good radio host because he's done tens of thousands of interviews over the years. A couple people brought up the point that just because you can answer questions well in an interiew, does not mean you will be just as good on the other side, being the one asking the questions.

David says he has lots of thoughts and this is something he's been dreaming of since he was 12. However, it also seems like he hasn't put a whole lot of thought into it. For instance, no writers, no side kicks. Just David. Also, he started asking questions about whether they will give him a list of words you can't say. As most of us know, there are certain words that are definitely not allowed. However, there are now subjects that aren't clearly listed. It's more of a "what the FCC deems inappropriate at the time".

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
pdoel said:
It's funny you should ask. David feels he will be a good radio host because he's done tens of thousands of interviews over the years. A couple people brought up the point that just because you can answer questions well in an interiew, does not mean you will be just as good on the other side, being the one asking the questions.

David says he has lots of thoughts and this is something he's been dreaming of since he was 12. However, it also seems like he hasn't put a whole lot of thought into it. For instance, no writers, no side kicks. Just David. Also, he started asking questions about whether they will give him a list of words you can't say. As most of us know, there are certain words that are definitely not allowed. However, there are now subjects that aren't clearly listed. It's more of a "what the FCC deems inappropriate at the time".
My thoughts exactly.

I use to go to bed praying I'd wake up a German Shepard when I was 7.

"You can't always get what you want" ----- sayeth a happy old man who still can rock the house.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I would guess that since they are paying him $4 million and they have been testing him for some time that they feel confident that they he could pull it off.

I'm not going to prejudge his performance. I do know that he was a very successful songwriter so I would imagine that his brain works in a way that might help him in this endevor.

Of course they could be throwing $4 mill at him as a publicity stunt as well, but we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
When Stern first put up his message board I became a member - now I get emails every once and a while with exclusive material.

http://www.howardstern.com/mail.php

Here's one I just got...it's offensive though...but funny.:D

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got that this morning today too!

:)

It's kinda weird. They started having some of their long time guests on to say goodbye. When he made his announcement of the move to Sirius, it seemed so far off. Now we're down to the wire. I think they said he has about 26-29 shows left on terrestial radio. A few stations have already replaced him, or announced they will not go to the end. I just don't get that. Sure it sucks he's leaving regular radio, but he's brought these people TONS of money. Why pull the plug now?

So far, it's only hurt them by doing so. The listeners have not been happy and have boycotted the new shows.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
Don't know where to put this, but I can't say I did not see this coming...

Sunday, April 23, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Radio
The Howard Stern diaspora

By Martin Miller

Los Angeles Times

Can millions of listeners just disappear?

That's a question plaguing Howard Stern and one with vital implications for radio itself in the wake of the shock jock's heralded and hyped switch from free to satellite broadcasting.

The self-proclaimed King of All Media once commanded a national audience of 12 million daily listeners before jumping to satellite in January. But since then, his kingdom has shrunk to a fraction of that size. Meanwhile, the shock jock's main replacements thus far have failed to hold very much of the former flock.

According to industry analysts, the new Stern math scans something like this: At best, he took between 1 million and 2 million listeners with him, and his replacements, spread across many of the country's major radio markets, are drawing numbers in a similar range.

That leaves 8 million to 10 million nomadic listeners nationwide wandering the terrestrial radio dial in search of a new voice or sound to lead them out of the morning drive-time wilderness. Call them the Howard Stern diaspora, those legions unwilling to fork over satellite subscription fees and unimpressed by pretenders to the throne.

The timing could scarcely be worse for terrestrial radio, which needs an oversized, rudderless audience now like it needs another intriguing and easy-to-use competitor — say, an iPod, podcasts, personalized CDs or, Stern notwithstanding, the siren songs of satellite.

"It's unprecedented that a radio personality of Stern's magnitude has ever just pulled the plug on his show," said Perry Michael Simon, news-talk-sports editor of AllAccess.com, an online journal of the radio industry. "We're really in uncharted territory here."

With limited ratings data so far, it's hard to tell where the Stern herd is roaming and where big portions of it might ultimately settle, say analysts. But Arbitron ratings clearly demonstrate they aren't stampeding toward Stern's big-name replacements, former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth on the East Coast and comedian Adam Carolla on the West Coast. Although any head-to-head comparisons between the newcomers and the veteran Stern are unfair, say analysts, the pair's ratings are nevertheless widely regarded as disappointing and, in one case, possibly job threatening.

In their first couple of months, Carolla registered less than a quarter of Stern's ratings while Roth notched well under a fifth. Executives at CBS Radio have said it will take 18 months to two years to build an audience around their new talent, but even so, many contend that Roth might soon be fired. (He did get fired--TJ edit)

Meanwhile, Stern's numbers at Sirius, which has more than 4 million subscribers, remain a mystery. The satellite company, which charges about $13 per month for the service, won't release audience numbers. But analysts speculate that even if a quarter of the company's subscribers are daily Stern listeners, that would be considered a success.

In a recent interview, Stern attacked his ex-listeners who are still clinging to terrestrial radio and have refused to join him on the other side.

"You haven't come with me yet? How dare you?" Stern told Entertainment Weekly. "We're up to wild, crazy stuff; the show has never sounded better."

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

hmm.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Sad to say that O&A are just going to prove the lawsuit that CBS has against Stern right now.
Makes you wonder what they are thinking over there.

So you are going to sue your Host that left after he gave a couple years notice as well as was congradulated by the high ups on his way out...then they sue for promoting Satellite radio...now you are going to bring on a Satellite Host (who they previously fired for their on air antics) that will...promote XM at the same time...wow! They really are grasping for straws!

How great is it to be an O&A fan and realise that what you are paying for people are now getting for FREE!!! HA - SUCKERS!!!
And now instead of an entire show of uncensored radio you have to listen to 3 hours of bubble gum O&A and 2 hours of uncensored.
I guess you XM/O&A fans just got screwed royally!:D

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marvins_dad said:
Sad to say that O&A are just going to prove the lawsuit that CBS has against Stern right now.
Makes you wonder what they are thinking over there.
Yup. I would think that in time (hopefully sooner than later) the likes of Les Moonves will be fired. I feel bad for the CBS shareholders. The man is spending money like crazy on stuff that isn't helping. And he's taking CBS radio into the toilet.

I'm very curious to see how O&A do. I know the XM people love them, however, as someone who listened to Stern on CBS Radio, I know how little CBS will let people get away with. So the show isn't going to be what the XM listeners are used to.

As for the comment in the article about Stern attacking his listeners who didn't move. Ha ha. I've read that in a few articles. If you read the entire interview with Stern where he made that comment, he was joking. It was not an attack. Another example of our fine media.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts