NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, now I am getting pissed. I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY CADILLAC. Day 6: tried to fix a very minor problem, replace the mirror switch on the ds door. I took off the door panel, got the switch out, and now my ds door light does not work, and the "2 turn" of the key alarm doesn't work, and when using the button on the key, the doors lock, alarm activates. BUT..................... when I unlock the door with the keychain button, aprox 30 seconds after it is unlocked, the doors lock by themselves, the alarm sets on, (no horn) and all of this happens with the doors open or closed. No button pushing, nothing on my part. I guess I have inhereted a ghost in my car. I have checked every wire, harness etc. I even disconnected the battery to see if that would reset this thing. I can not find a fuse to pull to deactivate this nightmare. PLEASE HELP!

UPDATE INFORMATION: One thing that i did not mention is the fact that I did physically turn the hook latch while the door was OPEN (put it in the closed position) so I could check that I did not unhook the lock button. After the thread below, I can see that is exactly why it immediately started to malfunction. Is there any way that I can "undo" what I have done, ie: trick the lock back to working correctly?

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
My bug does the auto lock thing too- not sure why it does that. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a thread about this issue. The issue hasn't frustrated me enough to use the search feature yet... I'll get around to it shortly.

BTW, There's a thread called "secrets of the new beetle- part deux", that shares different things you never knew about your beetle. It might be worth checking out.

It's possible that your door light bulb went out. Sometimes the bulb housing needs to be replaced- I'd get the bulb first.

As you know by now, these bugs are quirky little things. Not as solid as the ol Caddy or as durable as the ol school Caddy parts. I'm not telling you anything new, but you're dealing with a 12 year old car, that will have issues here and there. I hope you stay the course and get the ol bug's quirks worked out.

By no means is this a brush off response, but the advance search feature is a great resource. I know there's what seems like a zillion threads here, but it's definitely worth digging around to find what is available here. Maybe someone will chime in and resolve your issue more quickly; still the search can be you best friend.

All the best Mark:bigthumb:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,916 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts