NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I installed the euro switch thinking (incorrectly) that it may elliminate the day time lights, to no avail. I too have bent the 3rd tab from the right down on the switch, that too own't work.

How do I get these damn lights off?

thank you in advance
~Bruce

2003 convertible

·
Registered
560 Posts
Did the same..

Did exactly the same install as my 1999 which turned off the DRL`s. The 2033 must be wired different, the DRL`s go off when you turn on the running lights, one click out and the fog lights come on, two clicks out the rear euro foglight comes on. maybe someone will know how to delete completely???

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Did exactly the same install as my 1999 which turned off the DRL`s. The 2033 must be wired different, the DRL`s go off when you turn on the running lights, one click out and the fog lights come on, two clicks out the rear euro foglight comes on. maybe someone will know how to delete completely???
I'm confused... The DRLs are only on when all other lights are off. DRLs are a function of your low beam, reduced voltage causes them to operate at reduced brightness (they are not a separate bulb). The 2003 is not wired differently, or with a different stock or fog switch. Something is being misstated or misunderstood on this. The regular factory switch, all years and models as far as I know (NA market), has three positions:

OFF (DRLs ON),
ON (Headlights, Parking Lights, Side Marker Lights, and (yes, pull)
ON, Fog, Headlights, Parking Lights, Side Marker Lights

There is no way, with this switch, to have only the Fog, and not the Headlights, hence the Euro Switch, which deletes the Headlights when the Front Fogs are on (which is how you properly use forward fogs). The Euroswictch also gives you the ability to add the Rear Fog to the Front Fog.

Read more here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/styling-modifications/49214-rear-fogs-again-help.html

Edit: As far as I know, there are four common ways to do the DRL delete -
  1. Cut the lead to the DRL feed coming from the switch (reversible), a secondary switch can be installed at this point in the circuitry to make them a driver controlled option.
  2. "Tape" the prong for the connection in the switch (reversible)
  3. Bend over the prong for the connection in the switch (non-reversible)
  4. Modify the Relay (reversible)
There ARE also other ways. There are numerous threads on the Org which explain these different methods. Also, be aware, deleting this feature MIGHT prevent the car from passing a state safety inspection, as while DRLs are not required in the US, all lights must operate as designed from the factory. They are standard with many brands, as they ARE required by law in Canada, and these cars are produced to be able to be sold in both markets (Typically, the NB is produced for the North American market, but there were, during the production years, a couple exceptions to this,

MORAV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Euro switch...
-The TFL prong is in a totally differnt location(opposite row) on this switch than on the as delivered factory switch. I have bnet the switch over in the location where the original switch is, I have bent the euro switch tablabled TFL (this is a bit confusing as it is on the top row and the TFL lable is actually in between two tabs, I have independantly bent both over), I have bent the euro labled B tab, nothing seemes to work, althought the switch still functions, go figure.

In the off position the DRL's are on, in the 2nd position the parking lights are on, in the lights position obviously the lights are on.

I was hoping the euro switch would be the ticket giving me a position to have the side markers on(with or without fogs) and no head lights on for dusk/dawn driving, while getting rid of the DRL's, argh! (

I may have to try the relay?

What wire do I cut from the plug to eliminate the DRL's?

thank you
~Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update... I got tired of bending tabs, so I pulled the 173 relay. All is well ;-) No, the parking brake light on the dash no longer work, but am OK with that.

Now I am off to replace the pathetically lame lower rear motor mounts.

thank you for your input, appreciated
~Bruce

·
1,255 Posts
I would not recommend pulling relay 173. That's needed for brake failure warning too as well as the e'brake pulled. Bend the tab suggested earlier in the thread. Be safe!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Update... I got tired of bending tabs, so I pulled the 173 relay. All is well ;-) No, the parking brake light on the dash no longer work, but am OK with that.

Now I am off to replace the pathetically lame lower rear motor mounts.

thank you for your input, appreciated
~Bruce
Tom's absolutely right, I said a modification to the relay, NOT a delete.

M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts