NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say great site and I'm new to the new VW scene. Is there any way to disable the daytime running lights on the 2001 1.8t beetle? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
There are two ways....and we have the how-tos, but I need to transfer them to the new site.

IF you can wait a little while I will post and let you know when they are up or you can search the old Forums for "Disable DRL" - there is one way to disable with a particular relay under the dash and the other requires modifying your light switch (can't remember if you have to buy a euroswitch or not with that mod - I did the relay method).

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
You dont need a euroswitch, i did the bent pin method with my stock switch before i got a euroswitch, and it worked perfectly. All you do is pull out hte switch, and bend down, or tape over the "B" or "8" pin, i dont remember exactly what it was called.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
Now you're going to cut a small piece of electrical tape, relative to the width of the TFL pin we've identified. Take the piece of tape you've cut and cover the TFL pin, so there is no exposed metal showing that might make contact with the harness plug (pictured below). Some modders choose to bend-down this pin (achieving same result), but we do not recommend this. Using this method, you can re-enable the DRL's by simply removing the tape.
I'm working on getting it up now.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Now you're going to cut a small piece of electrical tape, relative to the width of the TFL pin we've identified. Take the piece of tape you've cut and cover the TFL pin, so there is no exposed metal showing that might make contact with the harness plug (pictured below). Some modders choose to bend-down this pin (achieving same result), but we do not recommend this. Using this method, you can re-enable the DRL's by simply removing the tape

TFL, that's it. I couldn't remeber, and it's coverd by the pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that was quick. Thanks for all the info. Like I said I'm still new to the VW scene and who ever had the car before I got it for my wife wasn't good to it at all. We've already had to replace the turbo and the car has less that 70,000 on it. It has little dents and dings all over it, and the interior is dirty no matter how hard we try and clean it. It's a work in progress and hopefully one day we'll get it to where she needs to be.:)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Duck said:
Just wanted to say great site and I'm new to the new VW scene. Is there any way to disable the daytime running lights on the 2001 1.8t beetle? :confused:
I would try and persuade you to leave the daytime running light function alive and well. It really does help other drivers see you quicker. It does not cause the bulbs to wear out faster or any other problems.. It is in your car as a safety device that really does help your car to be more visable in all driving conditions...It's the law in many other countries.... JK

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 05 Beetle that was made in Mexico. I tried to do the mod where one puts plastic in the TFL slot in the headlight switch connector. The TFL slot had no wire/connector in it. I saw somewhere someone else had a beetle made in Mexico. That person couldn’t use the TFL slot either and had used the B slot instead. I put the plastic in the B slot today and then tested all positions of the headlight switch. It looks like that did the trick. All lights off with the switch in the off position. All other positions work as expected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts