NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dude
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i block automatic headlight which switches on together with start engine. I want to do it manual by switcher ?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
There is a pin on the euroswitch you can bend to disable them. The simpler(??) method is to take the bottom metal plate off the under side of the dash, remove Relay 173, take it apart and put tape between the actuator and it's contact inside the relay, then reinstall it (that's the hard part since it's right next to the firewall and the A pillar area of the car... basically in a corner). I did it to mine, you can remove the relay too together and the only other loss of function would be your BRAKE light on the dash when the parking brake is on (I like having mine).

·
Dude
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe i can find it illustrated ?
or can u give me u ICQ so that u can tell step by step.

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
i found the pin. its the one labeled tfl i believe of tlf or something like that. would it be a bad idea to break this pin off. i dont ever want to turn on my drls during the day time. what draw backs would i have and does this pin affect anything else in the car at all? and also this is being done to a euro switch. doesnt know if that makes any difference

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Cover the TFL pin with electrical tape to turn off DRL. You could pull the pin off, but it's just easier to tape over it. This pin only activates DRL, nothing else is affected. The TFL pin is present on both US and European switches and disabling it works on both.

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
There is a better way. The TFL pin doesn't work on all models. But my plan does. It's called "Plan X".
What you do is take the relay 173 out. Store it in a safe place in case you ever need it again. This has the undesireable effect of also disabling your parking brake warning light. To remedy that you make a jumper wire. Get about 2 inches of wire. I used 14g and two male spade conectors. Attatch to each end of the wire. Then grind, file, cut or chew one until is half it's normal width. Use the wire to jump between the number 4 and 7 pin of the relay.
If you were able to stick your head under the dash 4 and 7 would be the 2 connector on the bottom of the relay socket. The narrow one is on the right side, put it in first. If the side cover is off the dash you can actually look between the cracks and see what you are doing.
This makes the brake light work again.
Here are some pics. Sorry they are so fuzzy, hard to focus on small things. The under dash shot is also shot at a mirror.

Attachments

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
That's not Plan X. That was the only method available on early NBs that didn't have a TFL pin and it was aptly called the Relay 173 method. ;)

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
The relay 173 method published here involves taking apart the relay and putting tape between the contacts. This doesn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts