VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for any help anyone can provide on this, I've done some searching around and only found one thread on this question, but it didn't have any replies.

So I took my car to the garage to patch up a fender bender on the passenger side. When I got it back, the lowbeam, side light and tail light are all out on the right hand side. The blinker, brake light and high beam all work.

So, on the passenger side,

Non-functional:
- lowbeam
- tail light
- side light

Functional:
- brake light
- high beam
- turn signal

What could cause a failure like this? What system connects the three non-functional lights?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
First of all, check fuses 20 (low beam, right side) and 22 (tail and side marker lights, right side). Each of the 4 headlight bulbs has its own fuse. I assume that you have checked the low beam bulb, as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, check fuses 20 (low beam, right side) and 22 (tail and side marker lights, right side). Each of the 4 headlight bulbs has its own fuse. I assume that you have checked the low beam bulb, as well.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I checked the fuses. I thought it was a bit unlikely that both would burn out at the same time, but I swapped them out anyway to no effect.

I haven't checked the bulb as I simply haven't had a chance. I'll give it a look soon if I can, but I have to think it's something else just due to the fact that they all went out at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update to this for future reference.

It turns out both the fuse and the headlight bulb burned out at the same time, causing some confusion in the diagnosis.

I replaced the fuse and bulb and everything was fine. I am starting to notice some pretty weird electrical issues over the last few days that might be related to why both the fuse and light burned out at the same time (clock stopped working, left blinker is now blinking really fast?), but at least the headlight and tail light work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts