VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my drop in HIDs installed in my beetle.

6000K in the low beams
3000K in the fog lights

Installation and modification of the stock assembly was very easy. I used a few tutorials on here for removing the fog light assemblies without having to remove the whole front clip, just the grill insert the fogs are attached too.
Hardest part of the installation was finding places to mount all 4 ballast.

I bring videos and pictures, enjoy.

Note: Look up any video or picture of aftermarket HID's and you will see the same if not more glare as my video and camera show, trust me when I say that my lights look OEM and I get compliments on them from my fellow drivers.

VIDEO: YouTube - New Beetle DDM Tuning 6000K Low Beams 3000K Fog Lights Stock Halogen Projector Assembly

Pics:

Pic below w/flash (shows more true real life color)

With just fogs on (euroswitch)

With just low beams on

Clean cutoff

Some Night Shots

Cut Off

·
Registered
37 Posts
I amgoing to do the same to Alice, my wife's greenie. I have the DDM 5k in my mazda3 hatch and she loves the light. I haven't had any problems with the ballasts or bulbs so far and their customer service is great. Did you buy a spare pair of bulbs just incase since they are only $12 a set?

Thanks for the pics :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I amgoing to do the same to Alice, my wife's greenie. I have the DDM 5k in my mazda3 hatch and she loves the light. I haven't had any problems with the ballasts or bulbs so far and their customer service is great. Did you buy a spare pair of bulbs just incase since they are only $12 a set?

Thanks for the pics :D
No problem, figured I had been lurking on these forums long enough without contributing, and I know people ask a lot about drop in HID kits on here, and no one really shows how the beam pattern or cutoff look.

I am pretty much the only euro car in my cliq of friends (all JDM & motorcycles) and they all compliment me on my HID's. They really do not glare due to the projectors (halogen) we have stock! I was kinda skeptical, but I figured for 80 bucks I can try it out (cheaper then halogen bulbs when you think about it) especially since I can buy replacement bulbs for $15 a pair (looks like they raised it from 12 lol) and get a totally different K value.

My friend found this on the web shortly after we got these installed, I do not know if it is true, but even if it is, the main thing to take away from it is that they only have 4 actual K values that they ship, but sell as different. Only my 6k's were supposedly affected. I am very happy with my purchase.

I am gonna buy some replacement bulbs, thinking 12k (just to try it for fun) and 5k and another set of 6k.

The kit is very well made, and the only modification you have to make to your headlight assembly is a 7/8" hole (I used a uni-bit for this - with a pilot hole to start it). Hardest part is zip tieing (do not use double sided tape!) the small ballast to stuff in the beetle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi 2nafish,

Are you still happy with your mods? I saw the youtube you posted, nice video. The lights look very cool. Is the road brighter at night for you? Are the lumen outputs as high as you thought they would be?

I bought a 5000k kit for my car and will be installing it when it gets here in a few weeks. I am thinking about a 3000k kit for the fogs. Was that a hard install for you? Any tips for installing the HIDs into the fog lights?

I just got my bug here in Guam and the lighting sucks. Going to clean the headlights with the ECS kit, install the rear fog light, and a Euro switch while disabling the DRL. The xenon headlights then fog lights to follow.

Thanks for posting these pics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.