NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 99 NB 2.0L GLS. Two days ago I tried to start the engine, and heard a series of loud rapid clicks, but the engine didn't start. I wasn't sure what it was, but Security at my university decided it was probably my battery and gave me a jump. After starting the car ran just fine, lights, radio all worked. I figured i'd drained the battery by accident the night before so I went driving on the highway for about 30 minutes to recharge it. Afterwards, when I turned off the engine and tried to start it again, I heard the same clicks and it wouldn't start. It's finals week right now so I don't have time until next week to get it looked at. But I was wondering, is this a dead battery or a dead alternator? How do I tell the difference?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Take the battery (or car) to local autoparts store and have the batt. load tested. Could be a bad battery, especially if it's the original (easiest way to tell, is when you look at it, does it say "VARTA"? If so, it's crap).

Alternator issues would usually be followed with the battery icon illuminating in the cluster when driving. Usually.

I'll vote on a bad battery, not holding a charge.

-Des

·
Old Skool .org Member
58 Posts
Yes, sounds like a bad battery.

Being a '99, I'd say you were due. The factory ones are pretty crappy. I replaced mine with a cheapo Walmart one for $39. Although I have been a Sears Diehard person all my life, I found that you can't go wrong with the no-hassle exchange warrantee that Walmart has, and they are on EVERY corner...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, turned out it was the battery. My roommate and I took it out today. It was the original VARTA. Had no problems except for that screw that holds the plate that holds the battery down, it was kind of hard to get to. We replaced it with a Bosch battery that has a 3 year warranty. Car runs fine now.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts