NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I recently bought a 99 beetle 2.0 gas and the car was not running when I bought it. Put a battery in the car and tested the fuses and lines going into the car. I tested the connections going into the bottom of the block with relays and have power going to all but the last one if starting on the left working your way to the right ( i believe its labled 87f)

The engine turns over but wont crank, so I pulled a plug wire to see if I have spark coming out of the coil which I do not. So I check the connector going to the coil pack to see if I have power going to the coil and I do not. I also checked the fuel pump plug to see if I had power at the fuel pump and don't nor do I have power at the fuse in the panel that goes to it. I also have no power at the climate control, but do at the plugs where the previous owner ripped the Radio out.

Can anyone tell me where to start troubleshooting this electrical system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no I havent, not sure how to. I planned on researching how to do that and checking them. I do see that they changed the fuel pump relay (409) was laying in the floor of the car, and that one relay is missing(to the left of the fuel pump relay). I need to locate a diagram showing what the relays are and what they go to.

It's a shame that a car with 72,000 is beat the hell up like this. If i get it running I have to buy all kinds of interior parts because they tore it apart trying to diagnose it.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's you relay and fuse panel diagrams -

Fuse & Relay Panels
Service Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
Repair Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87566d1316930702-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-repair-manual.pdf

Really bad terminology here, sorry. From what I can disertain, it sounds as if you have a power issue, far upstream of any relays, etc. I'd check the main fuse box atop the battery. Make sure you don't have issues that look anything like the first picture in this thread -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

MORAV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the diagrams:). The first thing I checked when putting a battery in was the fuse block on top of the battery. I checked for corrosion, cleaned battery connections and made sure they were tight. I am thinking it's a relay or I have a grounded wire somewhere. The previous owner said he thought it was the ecu or security system.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Tracking down electrical problems are of the toughest problems to diagnose in a vehicle. And extremely expensive to have a shop do. You, hopefully bought this Bug right (not running) and can spend some time and money getting her back up.

I suggest a Bentley Repair Manual (DVD-ROM) for wiring diagrams (forget the paper Bentley Service Manual (the diagrams are there without the auto links from page to page) and a decent digital multi-meter.

Btw, I have an extra DVD-ROM, unopened, yet to be registered, current issue, for sale $65 shipped anywhere lower 48.

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, after working with the beetle today I found that the new relay that the previous owner put in is cutting out. I put the old relay that I found in the car back in and now I have power at the coil, spark,and power to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is locked up though, but after a trip to the parts store a fuel pump is on the way:D

MyOtherRidesAVette I got the car with 72,000 miles and a clear title for $300, so I feel like it's a win/win situation for me. If I can't get it running I can part it out. But now that I have 2 out of three things I need for fire and the third one on the way I think the beetle will fire up. I just have to clean the old gas out of the car and when I get it running do all the belts,hoses, ect. that I would do on a car that has been sitting for a while.Then it's on to fixing the interior parts the previous owner tore up trying to access the relays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just wanted to let you guys know that the beetle is running now. Got to do fluid changes (drain old gas,oil, ect.) tune up, and timing belt.

thanks for the help .:D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Wow, awesome! :clap:

So happy that you adopted this New Beetle! :party:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts