VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas, 2006 beetle 2.5 gas automatic convertible. Won’t start - meter on batter says 12.50 terminals good, wire and connections look good. Put key in and turn Nothing and I mean nothing.
First VW ever owned. Could it be in key Insert in the steering column? Blanking on proper name- sorry. It is cold here, low 30’s if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Check your starter. There is a thick copper wire about 2 inches long that runs from the solenoid to the starter body, in the salt belt that wire turns to copper dust. Make sure that wire is solid.

Does your solenoid click when you try and start the car?
Next to the big copper wire is a thin wire that clips into the solenoid, pull that wire off, with a multimeter in place have a helper turn the ignition, when the ignition is turned entirely to the start position you should get your 12.50 volts or close to it on that wire. If you get the 12.50 v, replace your starter the solenoid is bad. If there is no voltage then your ignition switch is likely bad.

Two other areas to check, starter relay, and automatic transmission relay that tells your car it’s ok to start because it’s in park or neutral. You might even try moving the gear selector to neutral and try starting the car.

Ignition diy.

Here is a post that may offer insight.

Here is whitedogs excellent no start thread from tdiclub. You have a gasser so ignore the diesel stuff, the electrical starter items will still apply to your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your starter. There is a thick copper wire about 2 inches long that runs from the solenoid to the starter body, in the salt belt that wire turns to copper dust. Make sure that wire is solid.

Does your solenoid click when you try and start the car?
Next to the big copper wire is a thin wire that clips into the solenoid, pull that wire off, with a multimeter in place have a helper turn the ignition, when the ignition is turned entirely to the start position you should get your 12.50 volts or close to it on that wire. If you get the 12.50 v, replace your starter the solenoid is bad. If there is no voltage then your ignition switch is likely bad.

Two other areas to check, starter relay, and automatic transmission relay that tells your car it’s ok to start because it’s in park or neutral. You might even try moving the gear selector to neutral and try starting the car.

Ignition diy.

Here is a post that may offer insight.

Here is whitedogs excellent no start thread from tdiclub. You have a gasser so ignore the diesel stuff, the electrical starter items will still apply to your car.

Thanks for the info. I will look it over soon.

When I turn the key there is nothing- no dash lights, no door chime - nothing. Battery reads 12.48. I did try to jump it from my other car for grins. After 10 min charge battery read 12.58. I did get dash lights and chime but no start. No clicking either. Typical no start problems with starter do not exist. Dead battery problems do but there is life in the battery.
I’ve been redoing my 78 Ford F150, and this has me kinda stumped. Newer vehicles have too much going on- lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I will look it over soon.

When I turn the key there is nothing- no dash lights, no door chime - nothing. Battery reads 12.48. I did try to jump it from my other car for grins. After 10 min charge battery read 12.58. I did get dash lights and chime but no start. No clicking either. Typical no start problems with starter do not exist. Dead battery problems do but there is life in the battery.
I’ve been redoing my 78 Ford F150, and this has me kinda stumped. Newer vehicles have too much going on- lol.
I checked out the info you sent. All appears good.
There is some sort of electrical issue going on. Brake lights randomly on for no reason but no power to stay car, work window etc..
Battery shows life - 12.48.
No starter sounds, nothing. ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts