NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a dealership today, drooling over a Salsa Red/Cream top NBC. That color is HOT!!!!!! Its alot different from the previous reds. The car had $1299 for dealer prep and handling and $999 for Adm (whatever that is, the salesman told me what it was for but it didn't make sense to me)added to the sticker price. He told me all cars have this added to them. I don't ever recall paying 2 grand over sticker price for any car I have ever bought. Anyone ever pay these add ons?

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Yeah wow that's a rip off. Doesn't VW pay the dealers for their prep fees or something? I dunno, either way, RIP OFF

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Dealer Prep fees are pretty standard items on stickers. But, like noR says... doesn't mean you have to pay it ;)

Frankly... the only thing you should be looking at on the sticker is the optional equipment listed/package(s). Try to block out or otherwise ignore the line item prices. And for sure ignore the MSRP and "Sale Price".

Your negotiations should center around what you want to pay for the car. Period. If they tell you no deal, walk away... it wasn't meant to be anyway. There's a decent chance that they'll stop you before you ever get out the door with "oh oh... well... I rarely ever do this... but let me take this to my sales manager and see what he says" or some other such nonsense.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
shellbug said:
$1299 for dealer prep and handling and $999 for Adm (whatever that is, the salesman told me what it was for but it didn't make sense to me)added to the sticker price. He told me all cars have this added to them. I don't ever recall paying 2 grand over sticker price for any car I have ever bought. Anyone ever pay these add ons?
costs for dealer prep are included in the MSRP of the car.

basically, the salesman is playing you...hoping you'll roll over and pay the fees because you just have to have the car...

it's a common sales practice---used by some dealers to increase their profit at your expense.

other scams include "adjusted market value," etc. even saw one local toyota dealer who had a supplemental sticker with $200+ for floor mats...they were standard equipment on that particular car.

my two cents: don't pay the fees---i'm betting a dealer that plays those games on the sales floor will do the same kind of thing when you bring your baby in for service. i'd go for a dealer that plays it straight and you can buy the car you want at a reasonable price.

good luck!

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Yes, as everybody is saying, those fees are complete BS. Dealer prep isn't very much (not cheap, but nowhere near $1299), and is usually just taken from the profit on the car or from holdback.

There's just the invoice, which is the car plus option invoice prices plus destination charge plus floorplan interest reserve (unless dealer pays cash for car from VW but very few do) plus Port Prep Fee plus any regional advertising charges; the MSRP, which is some amount of (usually meager on a VW) markup over invoice plus retail prices of the options plus destination charge; and then there's holdback, money from VW which is usually 2% or 3% of MSRP (or invoice, I forget) behind invoice that dealers use to pay some expenses. Not much money but it helps cover PDI and detailing and such.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks like VW is having $1,500.00 Dealer marketing support on all 2005 verts...
So even at msrp they are making $1,500.00 form vw...
Find an 05 vert and make an offer...
Are you trading in a car? (this can really complicate the deals)
Do you currently have a VW? there is still a $500.00 owner loyalty goin on...
This is a really good time to be looking....
Especially if you can find some 05's laying around...
Check www.vw.com for local dealers and search their inventories......

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your negotiations should center around what you want to pay for the car. Period. If they tell you no deal, walk away... it wasn't meant to be anyway. There's a decent chance that they'll stop you before you ever get out the door with "oh oh... well... I rarely ever do this... but let me take this to my sales manager and see what he says" or some other such nonsense.
I agree 100%. I almost walked out 4 times while buying my beetle. If the dealer really wants to sell that car they will. A few tips that may tip the scales in your favor: (1) Go to buy the car near the end of the month. That way if the dealer is close to making their monthly goal they are more willing to deal. (2) If possible go at night and on a rainy day. This sometimes rushes the salesman because who wants to stand out in the rain at night. Also the salesman usually wants to go home. (3) Do your research! Know what the cars is worth and or a fair value to pay for it. Lastly, as said before, don't be afraid to leave. The worst thing to do is get so excited to get a new car that you'll sing and agree to outragous terms.

Sounds like your on the right track because you are reading the dealer stickers. In answer to you origional question, deffinately do not pay for the dealer BS prep. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info!! I really want an '06 and I have an suv to trade in. All I hope for with the trade in is to just get the pay off. The salesman told me while I was leaving that since it was at the end of the month, I might not have to pay those fees, LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts