NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

I just had my oil changed at my somewhat local dealer. Thankfully I knew what the container for the 505.01 oil was supposed to look like. The particular dealer has a huge window so you can watch them working on you car. I saw him pouring in oil out of a black container. When my paperwork came up, I asked how I can tell what oil was put in my car. The service advisor brought out the silver container of oil that said 505.01 on it. I told him that's not what I watched the mechanic put in my car. Well....he disappeared for a few minutes then got the manager. I was correct. They put regular synthetic instead of the 505.01. So they drained that oil and replaced with the 505.01. I have it in writing that they goofed up and put the wrong oil in my car should something happen. My question is this: how likely is it that this will screw up my car??? I'm very concerned!

:confused:
 

·
Send Money
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Prolly won't make one bit o' difference.. especially since you caught it before you drove off. Although, even regular synthetic is OK.
 

·
Everett Street in May
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
Wow, good catch!!

Like Bob stated, since you caught it right off, it shouldn't cause any long-term issues.

But, I would follow this event up with a letter to VWoA, cc'ing the dealership's manager and owner.

This way, you will have some leverage with any future issues.

TechnoTrix'd.......:wave3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Woohoo!! And THAT's why you're supposed to take your car to the professionals... ;)

Ugh. Well things happen; maybe it was just a bad day for the tech and he got confused... It happens to the best of us, right?
 

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I probably will follow up with a letter to VWofA, just to be safe.
 

·
member of the old *****
Joined
·
31 Posts
vw tdi oil

boblamb58 said:
Prolly won't make one bit o' difference.. especially since you caught it before you drove off. Although, even regular synthetic is OK.
are you saying that regular synthetic oil is ok in a 05 tdi ? if i am reading your post right thats what it look like you are saying. it takes vw 505.01 oil for the 05 tdi.:confused:
 

·
180 Degrees out of faze
Joined
·
841 Posts
A lot of people take their own oil into the dealer for oil changes. That way they know if the correct oil was used.
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Prolly won't make one bit o' difference.. especially since you caught it before you drove off. Although, even regular synthetic is OK.

WRONG!

you MUST use 505.01-approved oil in all PD (unit injection) motors. reason being is these oils are designed to help protect the cam lobes that the injectors require to function.

don't believe me? take a ride over to tdiclub.com and see what happens when you don't use the right oil. sad part is, it's documented too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
FTW is 505? I have been using DELO in my 2000 TDI for over 130,000 miles. Do you think I will make it to work today? What should I do at this point? :confused:
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
jibeho said:
FTW is 505? I have been using DELO in my 2000 TDI for over 130,000 miles. Do you think I will make it to work today? What should I do at this point? :confused:
First off, WTF is FTW? :)

Secondly, your 2000 is not a PD (Pumpeduse) engine. So it doesn't require the new oil.
 

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cheat, Hannaco and Porkchop,

What is your opinion on what this will do to my poor Kermie? That was the original intent of my post, to find out if the dealer putting 505 instead of 505.01 will harm my car.

Thanks.
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
I believe all will be well because it was caught before you drove off. :O)

Next time watch those monkeys put the oil in...or do it yourself like I do. Get a topside oil extractor from www.jerrybleach.com (you want the Pela 6K) and it'll take you 10 minutes to do it in your driveway. No muss, no fuss. My dealer knows me and knows that if I bring my Jenna to them that they need to treat her like a Bentley or else I will slam them in the survey. Believe me, all you have to do is slam them in the survey (and you should...they could have done serious damamge) that VWoA is going to call you for in a week or so, and watch the free goodies come in.

I wouldn't be surprised if when all is said and done, that you get a coupon for a couple free oil changes. Just emphasive to VWoA when they called that although the error was corrected before drive-off, that one shouldn't have to ask if the right oil was put in to know it was done right.

Another conscientous owner saves the day I guess. Make sure you put the dealer's name in the "who doesn't use 505.01 oil thread" over on tdiclub...we need to know.
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
iwunderu said:
The Cheat, Hannaco and Porkchop,

What is your opinion on what this will do to my poor Kermie? That was the original intent of my post, to find out if the dealer putting 505 instead of 505.01 will harm my car.

Thanks.
I don't know anything about the TDI... except for the one person's question about his 2000 TDI and the new oil. :)

However, I do want to ask you which dealership did this... Jim Ellis perhaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Whats all this 505.01 oil stuff ? Im a new TDI owner ... Is this oil that can be bought at autozone or pep boys ?

that oil pump thing looked cool. How do you change your filter ? I assumed the whole point of the pump was so you didnt need to get under the car... so is the filter near too ?
 

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Porkchop said:
I don't know anything about the TDI... except for the one person's question about his 2000 TDI and the new oil. :)

However, I do want to ask you which dealership did this... Jim Ellis perhaps?

I'll answer this since I see you live in Cartersville...near me as a matter of fact! No I went to Heritage in Lithia Springs. Jim Ellis service had already p'd me off and I won't go back to them. At least at Heritage I can watch them through their window while they are working on my car.
 

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jhillestad said:
Whats all this 505.01 oil stuff ? Im a new TDI owner ... Is this oil that can be bought at autozone or pep boys ?

that oil pump thing looked cool. How do you change your filter ? I assumed the whole point of the pump was so you didnt need to get under the car... so is the filter near too ?

505.01 is the specified oil for '05's. You would need to check o n your '06. No, you can't get it at your local auto parts store. It appears that Castrol and VW have an agreement. The only place I've been able to locate the stuff is via the VW service dept at $10 quart. I've heard some other TDI'ers get another one that fits the 505.01 standards but I've not had any luck finding it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
jhillestad said:
Whats all this 505.01 oil stuff ? Im a new TDI owner ... Is this oil that can be bought at autozone or pep boys ?

that oil pump thing looked cool. How do you change your filter ? I assumed the whole point of the pump was so you didnt need to get under the car... so is the filter near too ?
The oil filter on TDI's is on top, and it's a snap to change! So if you use an oil extractor, there's no need to get under the car for oil changes. You'll never look back. We use the Pela ball. Do a search here and in the old forum for "Pela" and "TDI"...
:)
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
iwunderu said:
505.01 is the specified oil for '05's. You would need to check o n your '06. No, you can't get it at your local auto parts store. It appears that Castrol and VW have an agreement. The only place I've been able to locate the stuff is via the VW service dept at $10 quart. I've heard some other TDI'ers get another one that fits the 505.01 standards but I've not had any luck finding it.
My dealer can get it for $6.25/liter. It is the required oil for 04-up TDIs. Iwunderu, I can check with my dealer and see if I can get you a good case price. :O)
 

·
iwunderu & Kermie
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Cheat said:
My dealer can get it for $6.25/liter. It is the required oil for 04-up TDIs. Iwunderu, I can check with my dealer and see if I can get you a good case price. :O)
Thanks! I will check on the price of a case here first. I didn't even think about getting a break on the price for a case.

I think I will plan on getting the pump thing and get my dad to teach me how to change the oil/filter myself. I won't break any nails will I???:p
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top