VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T 96k, I'll try to make this short. Was having problems with A/C not blowing cold. Compressor was kicking on, so like most people would, added a can of Freon. This didn't help and also noticed that the compressor was kicking off now,most likely due to over pressure . I could not find any local shop willing to work on it so took it the my local VW dealer for service to get them to diagnose the problem. I was told I needed a new compressor, dryer and exp. valve, cost 1628.00. After getting into a heated argument with my wife about how I could buy the parts much cheaper and install them myself, I lost that argument and decided to bite the bullet and have the dealership do the work. Left with my "repaired car" late one Friday afternoon just before the dealership closed. The car blew cool for a few minutes, then hot. Over that weekend I did a little research and was educated on what seems to be a very common problem, the blend door. When I brought my car back to the dealership the following Monday, I informed the service manager that I thought my problem was misdiagnosed, and the service tech should have tested the car longer to check the temp. coming out of the vents and that I pretty sure the only problem I had was with the blend door. All I got was an argument about how the tech. knows what he was doing and they would take care of the problem. Sure enough when I picked up my car again, I got to talk to the service tech, and it was just the cable on the blend door. On that service invoice they didn't even have the guts to put what they did to correct the problem, it just said no charge. I tried calling the service manager several times and got no callback. I then wrote letter explaining my complaint and offered what I thought was a very fair compromise, that they reduce my charges by 40%, so out of the 1628.00 I paid them, I was only asking for 600.00 back. I got no response at all. Filled a complaint with the BBB, they didn't any response either. Next route is small claims court, so what I am looking for is documented information concerning the bled door issue and also any advise on how to handle this problem. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I would have given the Volkswagen Area Rep a chance to address your dilemma.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In my opinion, it's a bit of a myth the BBB is for the consumer. It is funded by businesses, so unless it is just a blatant fraud or something like that, they generally find in the company's favor.

I might suggest you make an appointment with the owner and/or general manager of the dealership. You should be able to find this info out on their website, If you can, go see them in person and state your case. If you cannot get an audience with the GM, then send a letter stating your case with documentation and let them know that you will be filing a small court case on X date if this is not resolved. Send it certified mail return receipt requested, addressed to the GM. If the dealership is owned by a large corporation, send a copy of everything, also certified return receipt to the main CEO wherever he is. Don't screw around with underlings, send it straight to the top person. When it arrives certified, they will know you are serious. Before you send it sit down and get all your facts, dates, who you dealt with,etc in a letter with all the documentation you can provide. State why you came to the conclusion you did and what you expect as your remedy. Keep emotions out, be firm but polite.

If the meeting and/or letter doesn't work, then small claims court may be your best avenue. All states/counties are different, so some of this may not apply to you. First, I wouldn't go in thinking you will win. I would only go forward it you want to make their life slightly miserable. The way it worked when I was there (as the plaintiff I should add) it took several trips. One to file the case, the preliminary trial where basically the judge ask both parties if they can work this out between themselves and then the actual trial. So plan on missing the better part of two days work. Now just filing it may spur them to settle with you as they will have to send a representative to court or they lose automatically. You can sue for all your expenses associated with the case, time, mileage, court cost, etc.

Now, should you go to trial you need to have everything documented. Make copies of everything for the judge and present your case in a clear and concise manner. Try not to let your emotions rule, you just want to state why you believe you were overcharged and what you expect as a remedy. If you don't have something in writing from the dealership as to the misdiagnosed cable, you may be able to subpoena the tech, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If you can, they will probably just settle as the cost for the tech and service manager or whoever they send to court will probably be more than you are asking. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
vw dealer

The VW Dealer, yea don't go there period. We could have troubleshot that for ya here and saved you a ton of money. Oh well good luck to ya next time.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
When I dealt with my regional VW rep; my local dealer service manager, told me when he was going to visit the dealership and he arranged for me to have an appointment with him.

I would think your dealer or Vw customer service; could get you in contact with the rep or set up a appointment to meet him/her.

Keep in mind; they visit all the dealerships on a regular basis, so it is just a case of scheduling a meeting with them, when they visit.

At that point; you are dealing with VW of America and something; should get accomplished, where I had gotten nowhere with my dealer. In my case; my car was a lemon, they did a buy back and settled out of court. Good luck and let us know; how things work out for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts