VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update on 01 1.8 turbo...

Have had recurring "safemode"/"limpmode" problems since September when I should have driven it up the butt of the stealer that sold it to me... died at a Funeral day after buying it.

Fast forward today, spent my paycheck to fix a turbo leak *2 gaskets from dealer and big labor... they say my new throttle body may be new, but still throwing codes. Other mechanic says throttle body good. He had the car over a month! We have been over it with a fine tooth comb... fixed everything but it's evil spirit.

The throttle body has a one year warranty... he can either replace it if codes keep comin, or I will be the terror of his worst nightmare. What would you do in this situation????

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
My results with Volkswagen dealers and intermittent issues; have been disastrous and expensive without any positive results. Many of my problems; over that years were never resolved, even when the car was under warranty.

On my 2002 Turbo S, the warranty expired in 2007 and I was on my own, with problems my VW never resolved. Having never worked on a turbo or a car, as modern and as sophisticated as my New Beetle... it was intimidating and the thought of working on it, was a challenge that i had to decide to take on. The turnaround came; when I purchased a copy of VCDS from Ross Tech and started troubleshooting, repairing things on my own. Reading information in the service manual and technical information, like on VWVORTEX and here, helped me along in learning about how these cars tick.

This option; is NOT for everyone but with the help of this site, a quality service manual like Bentley or Erwin, it IS possible to repair things yourself! If you are willing to take on the challenge; we are all here to help!

If this is not an option or you do not want to deal with the ongoing responsibility of doing this... then, tell us the general area where you live. Other members in your area; may know of a good independant Volkswagen shop; that can help you out and fix your car. These cars; can be a challenge to diagnose and unfortunately, many vw dealer and repair shops, can charge you allot of money, for diagnostic time and never resolve the problem.

Let us know; where you think you are as a owner with this car, how long you want to keep it and what direction you see yourself going with the current repair issues, we will do our best to help! :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, good people....

I am waiting out the throttle body code repeat... a watchpot never boils. I will try to hold it together as long as it runs decently, but I can't give it all my paychecks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, that is why you need to purchase a VW compatible scan tool; it give you total control over the repair process. The Ross Tech VCDS is the way to go for a factory level scan tool but to just read codes, you can purchase a cheaper ones on amazon.

Literally, having VCDS stops the insanity; of having to pay others to "repair" your Volkswagen, getting charged a fee, every time the car is scanned and as you have seen, they may not even be able to successfully complete the repairs!

For example; when my warranty expired, my airbag light came on I purchased VCDS and scanned my car, it found a trouble code for the drivers side belt buckle receiver was bad. I got a new one; from the dealer and installed it myself. I cleared the codes with VCDS and it fixed the airbag light problem. The tool; literally, paid for itself, in just this one repair! IF I had taken it to the dealer; I would have to pay for the scan/diagnostic, overcharged for the part and how ever many hours of labor, they would decide it would take to replace the belt buckle (requires the seat to be removed). I have saved thousands of dollars in repairs; by using VCDS and my car, would not be on the road without it!

VCDS by Ross Tech

http://www.ross-tech.com/

cheap; scanner/code readers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vag+scan+tool

Do you want to pursue; repairing things yourself or just keep taking it to a professional?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Billymade....

I DO have a code reader... I've been scanning, re-setting or erasng the codes so that I can continue to get around... It has worked very well until I got the two leaks in the turbo... and fixed the flexpipe off the exhaust manifold. I have spent more than the value of the car so far... surely I am getting close to a fix!?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts