NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm new to the site although have been browsing for information for the last month or so. :)

So we are looking to upgrade to a 4 seater convertible and the NBC seems to be the only one that ticks all the boxes for us. We're in New Zealand so there isn't a huge range of second hand cars to chose from and prices are quite high. We'll be keeping the car for at least 10 years. We have almost narrowed it down to 2 options and would appreciate your thoughts....

Option 1, 2003 silver NBC, black leather, 115km, price $15k - $16k.
Option 2, 2006 harvest moon NBC, cream leather black top, 80km, price $17k - $18k.

Both are 2000cc tiptronic engines.

Husband likes option 1, $15k was always the 'top limit' of the budget we had in our heads. Likes the silver (so do I), we've taken it for a test drive and it drives well. Good body condition.

I love the look of the harvest moon and the idea of having a newer car, but we'd end up paying $2k more for it over option 1. Husband doesn't like the colour as much as silver. Haven't test driven it yet. I figure as we'll keep the car for so long the extra $$ will soon be forgotten but hubby not convinced...

Guess it is coming down to the price, and what, if any, differences there are between the 03 and 06 models and if this can be justified in the price difference.

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi there,

I'm new to the site although have been browsing for information for the last month or so. :)

So we are looking to upgrade to a 4 seater convertible and the NBC seems to be the only one that ticks all the boxes for us. We're in New Zealand so there isn't a huge range of second hand cars to chose from and prices are quite high. We'll be keeping the car for at least 10 years. We have almost narrowed it down to 2 options and would appreciate your thoughts....

Option 1, 2003 silver NBC, black leather, 115km, price $15k - $16k.
Option 2, 2006 harvest moon NBC, cream leather black top, 80km, price $17k - $18k.

Both are 2000cc tiptronic engines.

Husband likes option 1, $15k was always the 'top limit' of the budget we had in our heads. Likes the silver (so do I), we've taken it for a test drive and it drives well. Good body condition.

I love the look of the harvest moon and the idea of having a newer car, but we'd end up paying $2k more for it over option 1. Husband doesn't like the colour as much as silver. Haven't test driven it yet. I figure as we'll keep the car for so long the extra $$ will soon be forgotten but hubby not convinced...

Guess it is coming down to the price, and what, if any, differences there are between the 03 and 06 models and if this can be justified in the price difference.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Forget looks, unless they mean more than money! '03 was the "test" car for the NBC, lots of changes by '05 correcting "problems". $2k for 3 yrs and 35,000 km (I think you meant 115,000 km and 80,000 km, not 115 km and 80 km), is pocket change for what you are getting. The '03 at 8 yrs. and >71,000 mi is past due for a timing belt and water pump and if it can not be documented, it must been done (+/- $1200), which is a little over half of the difference, anyway. '06 is the 2nd Gen body, and cd changer as opposed to cassette deck, which alone updates the car. And you MUST consider the resale as a factor, you will get back a large percentage of the difference you pay now. Financially the '06 is a far better deal, with many less potential problems.

MORAV

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I agree with Morav. The 03 did not have all the fit and finish items worked out. The 06 may cost more, but over time I think that money will be recouped. TB/WP is a costly maintenance item, but left undone could end up costing half the cars value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 2004NBTURBOS and Morav. Turns out the 06 is in fact a Dec 05 model (06 was the first time it was registered in this country) - would your advice still stay the same?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys...if you are looking for the NBC....go for an '06 on up. Too many issues with the top motors and wings and electrical from 2005 down to 2003. I have an '07 and it has had nary a problem.

I know you are from New Zealand (glad my wife is not here to see this...she wants to come your way Christmas 2013)...check out the Edmunds.com and look at the reviews for ALL the NBCs.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Jerry

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love my 06

Harvest Moon was one of my favorite colors when I was looking for my VW. But I soon changed my mind when I saw the aquarius blue one I bought! I have had mine now since April and am just loving it. The gas mileage is great, I drive back and forth to work on the highway and use it 5 days a week and only fill it once! Big change from the SUV I used to drive. As far as issues, I haven't had anything yet except replacing a headlight and am now going to replace the little hydraulic pins in the trunk (it that's what they are called) as one of them is leaking so husband says we should just replace both.

I wish you luck in your decision. I say 06 is a great year at least so far for me.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks 2004NBTURBOS and Morav. Turns out the 06 is in fact a Dec 05 model (06 was the first time it was registered in this country) - would your advice still stay the same?
I'm confused, manufactured in Dec '05? That would be an '06. Production ends for the model year in about late May/Jun of the model year, Change over and then by lateJune/July the next model year production begins. In the year before the model "year". No confusing the '05 and '06. Gen I and Gen II bodies, very different.

M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts