NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is for Removing the Drivers Door Panel.

TECHNICAL NOTES: This DIY covers model years 98 thru 05.

TECHNICAL REQUIREMENT: None

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you won’t glue your fingers together or use a cutting torch to get bad part out and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong ... AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB...

1) 2000 1.8T liter, 5 speed

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author if you pass on this information to friends and/or family!!

TIME NEEDED: 1 Hour.

ITEMS NEEDED: A VW New Beetle Bentley Repair Manual or the Bentley DVD or a Haynes manual.

PROJECT COST: None unless, you break something. :eek:hnoes:

TOOLS NEEDED: Just your basic metric set.

SPECIAL TOOLS: You will need a wide and flat prying tool [DP DIY 006].

WARNINGS: If you disconnect the battery you will need the Radio Code to get it out of Safe Mode.

CAUTIONS: Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) that you missed? There will be only a few screws so do not loose any, I put mine in Ziploc bag(s).

So let’s begin...

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Door Panel...

Step One: Remove the grab handle cover [DP DIY 001 & 004]. There are two pry spots; it is possible to do this with your fingers instead of a flat head screw driver. Then the two screws inside the handle.

Step Two: Remove the three torq bit [DP DIY 003] screws from the underside of the door panel.

Step Three: Separate the door panel from the door. You need a large flat and flexible tool to do this without scratching the door and door panel. I modified a single edge scrapping razor tool [DP DIY 006 & 007]. I put duct tape on the back side to protect the door and the bent up edges prevent me from sticking it in to far [DP DIY 008]. Pry gentley and the panel should "pop" off.

Pic [DP DIY 009] shows you one of two reasons why I am doing this DIY.

TECHNICAL NOTE: It is not necessary to follow the exact steps from Step Four and on; I had to do it this way so I can take pictures as a I go, because I am doing this by myself. Normally the next step would be [DP DIY 017]; as the wire harness can be disconnected very easily with someone else holding the door panel.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step Four: Disconnect the Door Ajar Light [DP DIY 009A]. Squeeze the clip levers in and pull the connector.

Step Five: Disconnect the Gas and Trunk release buttons [DP DIY 010, 011 & 012]. Squeeze in on the connector clips and push the switch out through the door panel and pull the wire harness off the switch. There are no connector clips, so just pull the connectors gently.

Step Six: Disconnect the Window switches [DP DIY 013 & 014]. Work just like Step Five; push up on the connector clips and push out through the door panel. The connectors do have retaining clips; push them in and pull the connector.

Step Seven: Disconnect the door lever and mirror switch [DP DIY 015 & 016]. The door cable is held in place by a plastic clip identical to the ones in that hols the vacuum hoses in the engine bay. Pull the cable out of the hose clip [015] and pull the cable hook out of the lever [016].

Technical Note: In a normal door removal Step Eight is done before step four. With the door panel removed from the door accessing the wire harness and related connectors are easily accessible; however it takes two people, one to hold the panel and one to disconnect everything. For my purposes I had to use an alternate method.

Step Eight: Remove the door panel [DP DIY 017]. Grab the top of the Door Panel and squeeze, while lifting up gently. Be careful as there are still some wiring connectors to disconnect.

Technical Note: You must support or hold the door panel while performing these next Steps.

Step Nine: Disconnect the Alarm Light Connector [DP DIY 018]. Same as the door ajar connector; squeeze the connector clips in and pull the connector out.

Step Nine: Disconnect the Mirror and Door Lock Connectors [DP DIY 019]. The mirror switch connector clip is a very small and will require a finger nail or small flat head screw driver. Push down on the connector clip and pull the connector. The door lock connector is identical to the window switch connectors; push the connector clip in and pull the connector.

Step Ten: Remove the Mirror, Door Lock and Lever Assembly [DP DIY 020]. Just like the Gas Door and Truck switch; squeeze the clips in and push the assembly out through the door panel.

Picture [DP DIY 020] shows you the back side of the door panel and picture [DP DIY 021] show you the second reason why I had to take the door panel off. Yes it is blown and does not work. The Speaker DIY Thread is here... and let's not forget picture [DP DIY 023] is the third reason; the plastic welds have popped and I will be gluing it all back together.

You Are Done!!! :D

Follow these instructions in reverse to reinstall.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see a yellow door with gray insert, but no other directions. Do I need to go somewhere else or were the instructions to get the Haynes manual or the bently DVD? If so, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Sorry, There is not one, that is part of the door panel and is not replaceable. except by replacing he whole panel. The cover piece taken off in pic one is availble

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok!

So the piece in pic DP DIY01 that snaps loose in two places can be replaced but not the piece that takes two screws to remove isn't!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You are correct. If you look in pic 23 the the 2 silver round things you see are inserts which the screws go through. The tall plastic "hills" are the back side of those holes those screws go into. Those hills crack loose from the rest of the panel, The "cardboard" piece is the backing for the cloth or leather insert in the door. You can see this one is broken loose. You are not alone in the breaking of that piece. There are several beetles being parted out in the forum. You may be able to get some newer un broken ones. They are availble new but are about 200 dollars each side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so let me understand this. In my wife's 05 NB vert, the leather on the right side has come out of the panel (sort of). I was planning on fixing it this weekend, but now I see that once I get the panel off, I can't re-attach the material to the backing? I need to either find a used one or buy one from VW?

Please someone tell me that there is a way to fix this before I set the car on fire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

D2Beetle, Thanks Great thread!
2002 Diesel Beetle here, just got it June 30th and my wife broke the top of the grab handle yesterday, from the DIY pics and a post, I just realized the handle is molded into the door panel, so does anyone recommend some type of adhesive to glue it back for awhile till I can locate one in a junkyard! 1998 to 2005 are all the same correct?
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts