NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lent my Daughter my 06 Vert last sat. and she hit a 10 point buck with it at 60 mph. The Buck must hve wieghed about 280 lbs.- I can maybe understand why the airbag went off but why did the roll-over bars eject as well? reading in the manual it says they do not come up un-less the car is at 10 or 15 degs angle (tipping over) looking at the pictures still baffles me why even the air bags went off. also when that happens the car puts its breaks on and shuts down the car. if the bars come up it will also shut off the fuel supply as well.I was impressed the car did an excellent on keeping our Daughter safe.

I am still crying a little over how Sadie looks right now tho.. :(

Jeff

SideviewBag.jpg

Dearhairfront.jpg

Hood.jpg

Front2.jpg

Airbag.jpg

Frontsideview.jpg

·
New NB Owner/Lover!
251 Posts
Goodness! That's painful to look at... BUT cars can be fixed/replaced. So glad it kept your daughter safe! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes she is fine except for the HUGE bruise on her thigh area.
She thinks the air bag did the(??)
I am thinking maybe the steering wheel myself.

I will post later on the total cost of repair is in a few days.
The car is on it's way back as it was 125 miles away when she got hit by the deer. the airbags alone will be over a grand them self's

If you look hard enough at the bottom picture you can see the rear roll-over safety bars (UP)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ouch! Glad you Daughter is okay, and yes the airbag(s) can beat you up real bad.

I'd have to read more on the roll over protection, and I should know as I have an NBC, but I don't. When were they last inspected? (part of the scheduled maintenance) Could have been a malfunction. The front airbag, yes, as I understand it, they are designed to go off from a frontal crash, which from the damage is certainly what she had.

From the pictures, I'd have to say either the deer was smaller than described, she was going significantly slower than 60 mph when she hit it (possibly already breaking), or she clipped it as opposed to taking the full body. Lucky it didn't come up over the hood and into/through the windshield. I've seen way worse, and the damage should have been, with the givens as stated.

Regardless, hope not for your sake, but I'm betting $7k -$9k.

Sorry for what your having to deal with, but remeber, cars can be replaced, our kids can't.

MORAV

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Cost

You were correct MORAV , I was figuring $6,000.
This is from my adjuster.

She will be saved, about $7000 in damages with more than half of that being parts. The “roll bar/headrest have been re-set, I did a little research and found out they are supposed to deploy when the air bag does , you basically just trip a lever and push them back down. As far as the airbags go the impact was directly to the area of the sensor, this helps explain why the airbags did go off. Will take at least 2 weeks to fix maybe longer depending on how long it takes to get parts.

--Glad we have a $100.00 deductible for deer hits :D --

Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More

The damage is very minor, unfortunately when the air bag goes off you have to replace not only the airbag but also the seat belt, the control module, the sensor, and the wiring, those items add up to $2000.00 all by themselves ,Most all the cost is replacing broken plastic parts. With 36 hours of labor on the estimate, only 2.5 hours is actual repairs the rest is swapping parts and painting

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
I didn't see this until now! :eek:

I'm so sorry to see what happened, but I am glad your NBC will be brought back to life. I'm also glad that your daughter turned out OK. Venison steaks in the freezer? :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, and I have been asking around for deer meat the past week.
That Deer my Daughter hit, I could not get to in time as it was 125 miles away.

Our Daughter is a Vegetarian :rolleyes: and doing fine.
and HER car is still in the shop. that is why I let her barrow mine.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You were correct MORAV , I was figuring $6,000.
This is from my adjuster.

She will be saved, about $7000 in damages...
I'm really shocked it wasn't higher. I knew about all the air bag/seat belt stuff, but there must have been about zero mechanical damage behind the bumper, under the hood, and to the suspension and steering system. Unfortunately your next hit will be the Carfax when you go to sell it. Take lots of pics of the damage and keep all repair shop invoices so a potential buyer can see the nature of the accident, documenting that it was all safety equipment and superficial body damage.

Don't know who's doing the work, but question that they are using the right additives when painting the bumper, and the body parts should be painted and clear coated before putting them on the car, otherwise you may experience base coat and/or clear coat edge peeling down the road. Perhaps you already know about those things, but just saying...

Again, glad your Daughter's alright, everything else is moot in the scheme of things.

M.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the shop last Wednesday, they had the hood on but it was twisted from the vendor, new one coming this Monday, should be done by Friday !! Dec 2nd it also has to go to the VW Dealer to have everything re-set and the airbag installed, there must be 5 box's of stuff sitting inside the car for them.

Should all be re-painted by Wednesday, they are very good at that there. all the body work is done and prepped.

Been driving a huge SUV around and it sucks *LOL*

I REALLY miss my car.

Jeff

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
:pinch: That's painful to look at but thank goodness your daughter is alright. I hit a deer going about 70 mph and it did at least $8,000 in damage, oddly enough the airbags didn't deploy. These are tough little cars. The state trooper who was there told me that it was the round shape of the hood that prevented the deer from smashing through the windshield. That little car saved my life.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hyakugojyuuichi, you are very lucky as well when that happened
Yes I think having the bubble front end help them Deer roll right off ! The other thing that I just found out and saw at the body shop a couple days ago is that the air bag censor is
right in front of the driver. and not on the side that your deer hit. boy it is sad to see these photos.:(
Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost Done :)

Well she is almost done, Just needs the Air Bag and re-Set Stuff. Should be ready tomorrow. it has been 34 days .
One of the delays was a suppler sent a warped hood :(
All the body work is done.:D
Jeff
2011-12-06 14.49.09.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:goodjob: Lookin' good!

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
I love the license plate! The car is looking great! :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found More !!!

OK So lets add another $672.00 for the inside headliner after the roll bars ejected they put pressure on the headliner and snap the plastic parts that hold the liner in the correct place when closed. (these hold the stretch ropes on each side)

I found this out after I picked it up and returned it, then took it to the VW dealer for repair. NOW SHE IS DONE!!! Darn near 10K to get all this done with a $100 ded.

This car only has 31K on it. I did just notice a post about someone wanting one with 151K on it. WOW that is a lot of miles , but good to see that it is still running. thinking your right , I bet it does not have an Auto Top . Mine was fully loaded. Love the darn thing to bits!
Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts