VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year again, new username cause I can't remember the old one, and time to start getting the beetle ready for winter while its nice out!

Project I'm working this summer is figuring out the airflow issue with the defrost. There is a ton of air that blows out the vents, but when I switch to defrost, its a trickle of air, literally. (vents to close when switch to defrost) Full blast and barely enough to move a Kleenex, either out the front, or corner side vents.

Its low enough that if I drive into a rainstorm, I have to immediately open the windows and pull off the road until the storm passes, and wait 10 minutes to see again. Winter is miserable as well, have to idle the car for a 1/2 hour before the windows will stay clear, and during snow storms, frequently have to drive peaking out of a 4x6" defrosted part of the window above the vent.

I'm thinking there is maybe a damper somewhere that's not opening or closing properly, or do all beetles have low airflow to the windows? Its been like this since the day I bought it.

Has new dust filter, hasn't had working a/c for years (hole in the condenser) but that shouldn't affect as it was this bad even when the a/c was working.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
The a/c is a key part of the defrost system. When you switch to defrost the a/c removes moisture from the defrost air allowing efficient window clearing. You need to fix the a/c for the system to work as designed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so that is a yes that its normal for very low airflow on defrost?

Like my eclipse, if I stick a kleenex over the defrost vent, it'll blast it into the back seat. The beetle doesn't even have enough power to blow the kleenex off the vent.

It was like this before the a/c died. Repairing a/c isn't an option, cost more to fix than the car's worth.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I think I had pretty good airflow on mine. The only time I had an issue was when I had foam from the blend door blocking things up. But it blew out on its own and then was fine.

If your AC isn't working, your defrost isn't going to work well, even if the airflow was good. You really need the AC for the best defrost functionality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts