VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to delete the secondary air injection system on my 2000 1.8T beetle and was looking to see if anyone else has done this. If so then I am interested in understanding if there are any issues I should be concerned with. I live in a town that doesn't do smog checks so no worries, parts will be stored in a box just in case. My biggest concern I guess is learning how to close the circuit on the system so it doesn't throw any codes any ideas? I'm assuming just throw a jumper wire from one side of the circuit to the other and the circuit is complete. just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
ive deleted my SAI pump. You will throw a code, however. Its inevitable. You can use a resistor to fool the ecu into believe that the pump is still in place but you will throw a code for incorrect flow. The ecu looks for a shift in the air/fuel at the o2 sensor when the pump kicks in. If it doesn't sense the shift it will throw a code.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive deleted my SAI pump. You will throw a code, however. Its inevitable. You can use a resistor to fool the ecu into believe that the pump is still in place but you will throw a code for incorrect flow. The ecu looks for a shift in the air/fuel at the o2 sensor when the pump kicks in. If it doesn't sense the shift it will throw a code.
Thanks you answered my question completely :)

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
I'll check your DIY list and see if you have a how-to.

I'm back... no DIY. Let me ask you this. Since it throws a code, obviously the CEL light stays on. Do you run a VAG COM on a regular schedule, just to be sure nothing else codes?

·
1,255 Posts
Copied from a thread on VWVortex, Vag-com Forum referring to removing the SAI:

"The car will be throwing a P1420 code if you do that but you can stop the ECU from throwing that code by getting a chip from C2 Motorsports (black forest industries, among other places stocks that chip)"
Do a search at above site for more info on the SAI.

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
Since it throws a code, obviously the CEL light stays on. Do you run a VAG COM on a regular schedule, just to be sure nothing else codes?
I have a tendency to run vag-com anyway as I mess with settings and log fueling, etc. You would definitely need to keep an eye on it as the CEL would be lit at all times.

"The car will be throwing a P1420 code if you do that but you can stop the ECU from throwing that code by getting a chip from C2 Motorsports (black forest industries, among other places stocks that chip)"
You have to make sure all of the features line up. I did have software the deleted my SAI as the software code was for a non SAI car. But I lost cruise control and some other features as it was technically for the wrong car. I would talk to Jeff at C2 before simply assuming that it can be coded out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
needless to say I found the problem to my issue with my SAI it's the plastic tubing from the intake to the pump. there isn't a very good connection so it's hissing at me letting me know what's up.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
I'm not sure if this applies to 2.0's and 1.8T's, but not all 2.0's came with SAIP's. I read somewhere recently that you can use the VAG-COM to re-code your SAIP car to the non-SAIP settings.

But rooster, wouldn't it just be easier to replace the leaking hose?

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
you don't really "need" the block off plate.
if you leave the valve on it will just stay closed, same thing as a block off plate. infact when i put together my latest big turbo setup i didn't have the plate and didn't want to wait, so i left it on. next time i'm back there and if i have a plate handy i'll put it on. otherwise the kombi valve will stay in place.

also eurodyne and unitronic both offer s.a.i. deletes, with that you won't throw a code and you'll have a bunch more hp. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts