NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first car, Superman/Batman, I got second in the derby! Superman was for my wife (her favorite superhero) and Batman was for my son (his favorite). 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis.

The second car, Tank, I got taken out in a heat race by the forklift operator breaking my driveline:mad: I finished that car off later in another demo, didnt do too well. Spongebob was for a kid we know who has a form of cancer, Spongebob was his fave. We took the pic of him riding on the gun turret ( and me in the background)and sent it to him while he was in treatment. This car was a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. I did win a trophy for prettiest car, it took me a lot of cans of paint and masking! I learned later if you win for prettiest car, you may as well paint a big target on it as everyone wants to be the first to destroy it!

The third car (not pictured YET) is a 1986 Lincoln Town Car, identical in body style to the 89 Town Car. I have about 40 hours into this car and cannot think of a theme for it yet....it will come to me but ideas are welcome. I am alot more serious with the tips and tricks to winning on this car. I will post pics later tomorrow. (befores and what it looks like now). This car will be demo'ed on Aug 22 at the fair opening in front of a crowd of approx 5000! WOOOOHOOO I can't wait!!

So, anyone else here do demo's?? It's an adrenaline rush!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
You drive in the demolition derby? You learn something new every day! :lol:

I love to go those, but it's been many years... :eek:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and I love it! There's redneck in my gene pool somewhere! I think everyone should at least go watch 1 demo derby. I know alot of people who watch racing just waiting for the wrecks...this sport just cuts out the waiting part!:p

·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
:lol: Awesome! :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the new car in various stages. It was ALMOST too nice to derby, but for $200, I couldn't go wrong! Trying to heal up from my accident so I can get in another one....on purpose this time!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The latest pic. Changed gear ratio in rear end and made it posi, the rear tires have another tire stuffed inside of them and inside that is a tube, front is hard-nosed (stubbed and bumper welded to frame), "custom" exhaust, going to tuck the trunk. Still need to relocate gas tank and battery, weld doors shut, etc. etc. etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I ended up running the car in the derby last night. I got 2nd in one of the heat races. What a blast!!! The racing is my favorite part! I also got a 2nd place for prettiest car. There was approx 30 cars in the demo and I made it down to about 7th place when I took a hard shot to the front. My battery came loose and pulled the wires that are attached to the starter solenoid, breaking the solenoid:( All in all I had a ton of fun and looking forward to returning next year to do it all over again. Now begins tha process of taking all the parts off that I will need next year and getting the car to the scrap yard to re-coop some funds.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
What a boatload of fun! :party:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts