NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Guys.

Does anyone know if I can buy a "complete set" of plastic hoses for my engine?

Just lately whenever I get a CEL, it's simply because a hose has become disconnected. The hoses are 14-year-old plastic, and the clips are starting to deteriorate.

It's an easy fix, but as I'm getting tired of seeing things connected with rescue tape & zip ties, I thought I'd treat the beast to a whole new set of plastic hoses.

So does anyone know if a "complete kit" is available? Or do I need to find out the individual part numbers and order the hoses individually? (I've tried googling a complete set, but must be using the wrong key words.)

Or, depending on the "hip pocket nerve", would anyone suggest an upgrade to silicone hoses?

Thanks in advance,
Scruffy.

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
ECSTUNING and FCPEURO, sometimes, will create a "kit" to fix common problem; you might contact them for a possibility on these (FCPEURO, offers a lifetime warranty on the parts they sell).

That being said, the emissions hoses; from VW, are plastic, which are quickly prone to becoming brittle from the heat in the engine compartment and then crack, fail. I have replaced these hoses and they just, end up breaking again. They are expensive and you just end up have to buy them again, a waste of money.

After going through the same problem; after replacement, then failure (AGAIN), I decided to figure out a way to repair the hoses myself. In my case, the ends were ok but hoses them selves, kept cracking and splitting. I went to my local hardware store and found some washer, dishwasher "discharge hose" or "sump pump discharge hose". To my amazement, found they were the same diameter and looked very close to the stock hose. This was sold by the foot; at my local True Value hardware and the ends, twisted on, looked and worked like the originals! Originally, the hose was black but lately, I was only able to find it in white color but using some plastic specific black paint, are a quick spray bomb, looked like the originals.

So, if you are looking for a longer lasting and cheaper option, look for this type of hose. The plastic is more pliable and doesn't seem to get brittle, like the originals do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1) Mis-application - Perhaps the greatest cause of failure is using a hose, fitting, or clamp in an application that it is not designed for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts