NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I have long wanted a Beetle. I drive a '00 Jetta VR6. Great car. For some reason Beetles have always held my interest. No worries. One day I'll buy one for my daughter.

She's 16 now, though not ready to cut her loose on the road. I have, however, been shopping. Been looking at 2000 thru 2004 just to maintain the price point. Locked in on a 2004 Turbo S. Test drove it without her. Loved it! I want one... But for my daughter a high mileage turbo burning premium and with a probable turbo rebuild or something of the sort looming near, better stick with the 2.slow.

Then I stumbled across this gem. Clean CarFax (FWIW!). Priced considerably below book values, even below Edmunds values. Makes me suspicious. After much back and forth it seems the reason for the pricing is to suck in a buyer with a trade they can low-ball them on. "trade required" is in the small print.

I get them to commit to sell to me since I have to make a lengthy drive and I look the car over very thoroughly and run it thru the ringer on a test drive. Seems to be in great shape. I get it home and discover a crack, more accurately a separation of the rocker panel cover from the frame right under the hinge of the passenger door. Totally missed this on my inspection. I knew I should have taken it somewhere for an unbiased opinion.

Is this separation common? Did I make a horrible error in purchasing this car? What's the deal here?

Pics attached...

Attachments

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
being an x-VW tech and a body man as well, i can assure that is not from the factory. it clearly looks like it was damaged and poorly repaired. our cars do not fall apart like that without a lot of help.

-jd

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Get an opinion and estimate from a trusted body shop. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few more photos so we can ORGle them!!I bet you got a great deal and the crack does need to be checked out. I had someone think they could stand on the "running board" as they put it back on my 2001 and it didn't like it at all. Of course they were a 300# idiot and I happily let them know that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts