NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did this. I've had the part a year or so. It was time to do it. I removed the air box completely to gain access to the area. There's a video on the ECS Tuning website, just go to New Beetle under the Volkswagen banner, then select engine type, then select driveline from menu on left, go to shifter, and it will be there from the list of items.

Place transmission in neutral to do this.

I marked my cable as to where it was at with some tape, it's the cable end on the right as you look down on it that gets removed. To remove it just push down on the collar and spring, and turn it about 1/8 turn to lock it open, then pull the cable out, which may take some persuasion, mine did. I then removed the clip on the other cable, be careful not to drop it, or you'll be hunting for it. To remove the clip required a small screwdriver to lift the center lock up, then slide the clip off, and put it in a safe place, then pull the cable and pin you just removed the clip from out. Swing the bracket it was attached to out of the way. With a 13mm socket on a 12" extension loosen the nut on the shifter lever. I used an impact driver which works very well, just be sure it stays in neutral by holding the shift lever still when removing the nut.

To remove the shift lever I used a small pry bar placed under the old shift lever to raise it up until it stops, keeping pressure on it to hold it up I took the 12" extension and placed the solid end on the bolt that holds the shift lever nut on, and tapped the end with a plastic ended hammer, and the old lever just slid right off. I then placed the new shift lever back on the bolt, and used the open end of the 12" extension to tap it back in place. I put the nut back on and tightened it with the impact driver. Now is a good time to lube everything back up, before attaching the cables. Move the bracket back that was swung out of the way, reinstall the now lubed pin, and replace the clip on the end. Unlock the new cable end, I removed the new end and clip, made it easier for me. Put the cable end in the new end to the tape mark, unlock, remove tape. Place other end on the pin on the shift lever, install clip. Make sure you have all gears before installing air box. If all is good reinstall air box and related parts.

I like the feel of the new shift lever. It is a bit notchier, but a good notchy. The throw is somewhat shorter to boot.:D

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After using the TT short shifter for a few days it's well worth the money. I used to get a very slight noise if I tried to shift into first if the car was going more than 10 mph. It hasn't done this since I installed the new short shifter. Shifts are now much more positive and quicker.:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts