NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I'll be brave and offer an opinion. The specs look to be a bit aggressive. If true, look for a lot of soot. The typical gain is 20 HP and about 25 lb-ft of torque.
For something that works, look here: http://www.vanaaken.com/usa/index.asp?pagename=vwrange
I have installed two of these for friends, and they have been very happy with the results. Only takes about 15 minutes to install. Most of that time is used in removing and replacing the engine cover.
The other option is to install new injector nozzles for about the same gains. The nozzles are a bit less expensive. Look here for some of the best: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-TDI-Nozzles-%2796-dsh-%2703-%28VE-pump%29/Categories

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
what? where? how?

I looked on the Vanaaken page and the link for the 1.9l TDI goes to a placeholder. Does this box actually exist?

Second question: what does it do to efficiency? I assume that performance comes with the cost of more fuel usage.

Third question: is the 1.9l tuned for maximum efficiency? I would guess not; it's probably a subjective compromise between low fuel usage and "sporty feel". The Diesel Concepts box claims to add to fuel efficiency while boosting horsepower and torque. If those are mutually achievable, why didn't VW tune the engine that way in the first place?

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Because they typically aren't mutually achieveable...at least not being driven the same way. The same would hold true for injectors or a chip...your right foot will determine what kind of gain you see. I have not looked at the link though...but these are general concepts.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I thought not

jpdeuce said:
Because they typically aren't mutually achieveable
Yeah, that's what I always understood, too. So, again, the claims made on the subject site seem pretty dodgy.

Why are there no tuning chips to improve fuel consumption?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
"Why are there no tuning chips to improve fuel consumption?"
Because people want to go fast, and have lots of power.
With a diesel the way to get more power/torque is to add fuel. The result is lower fuel economy. But, in "normal" driving, you have better control over the fueling process. Some minor fuel economy gains can be found. But, who wants to drive like my grannie?

The 1.9 is tuned for minimum emissions.

The Van Aaken tuning box works very well. It only adds a little soot under hard acceleration. It has an adjustment (they suggest that you not mess with it) that can raise or lower the fueling curve. The box just intercepts the signal from the computer and adds an additional fuel signal to the original.

The main difference between a chip and a tuning box is that the maps in the chip can be changed to work over specific rpm ranges. The tuning box just adds fuel across the entire rpm range. Your fuel efficiency with either is directly related to your right foot.

Life becomes interesting when you stack two or three of the items.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should go to www.tdiclub.com and do a search on Rocketchip, chip or Upsolute.

You will get a wealth of information about performance tuning your diesel NB

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a company no one's heard of or used before. Get something tested and proven.

& I wouldn't be surprised if those chips DID give you better fuel economy; if you drove like you did today; with the same acceleration curve and what not. The difference is; you likely won't. 50% throttle now would be like 35% throttle after being chipped, and who's really going to back down and drive at 35% throttle after getting chipped?

I'm sure someone could customize the code for a fuel efficient diesel though. But how low (tq) are you willing to go?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Van Aaken tuning box

Anyone have a picture of the Van Aaken tuning box? I did not see a picture on their site. What is the cost for the box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a company no one's heard of or used before. Get something tested and proven.

& I wouldn't be surprised if those chips DID give you better fuel economy; if you drove like you did today; with the same acceleration curve and what not. The difference is; you likely won't. 50% throttle now would be like 35% throttle after being chipped, and who's really going to back down and drive at 35% throttle after getting chipped?

I'm sure someone could customize the code for a fuel efficient diesel though. But how low (tq) are you willing to go?

I would rather pay a little more for a well known and proven brand that test on something that cost less but uncertain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts