NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 537 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a mission. I want to lose lot's of the weight I've gained lately.

There are so many ways. Commercial clubs (Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, Weight Watchers etc), Trim Spa, (all I can think of with this one is Anna Nicole!:rolleyes: ), diets, like Atkins, South Beach, etc.

I am so confused!

If you have had a successful with something (non Atkins), tell us about it.

Perhaps, we can kinda get an Org weight loss "club". Just have a support system, for us "no-will-power" types...... ;)

What diet / weight loss program worked for you? :)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Here's what I did.

Portion control, and calorie count.

Most days, I eat one (1) bowl of normal cereal. I'd grab a smoothie from Smoothie King, have a Healthy Choice (11.5oz) for dinner, along with a banana. Eat light when I get home from work.

So far I've lost 15lbs over the last four months by doing this. No stupid gimmicks or hokey methods. Still have 15lbs more to lose. Burn more energy than you consume.

Watch what you consume (keep it low fat/low cal/low sodium/low sugar), and how much.

I drink only diet sodas. I shy away from candies and most processed foods. Fast food is on rare occasions only. Sugar consumption is low. I also take stairs two at a time. :p It's basically eating with your brain, instead of your eyes/stomach. Order the smaller sizes at restaurants. If you're still hungry, order again. If not, then you won't feel obligated to finish the food. Same goes for salad bars/buffets. All you can eat? No! All you care to eat. Don't stuff yourself.

Moderation, moderation, moderation.

Oh, and Beck's Light only has 64 calories. :p

-Des

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Des. This is what I'm asking! :)

Any more? ;)

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
Two Words:

Don't Diet.

First off, it's a dirty four letter word. See, when you place yourself on a diet, you force yourself into a position of counting calories, and watching what you eat, which is fine if you never go out.

But you go out. And then you are sitting there, eating the boring diet food, when everyone else is eating the good food, so you later get home, and binge.

Like Des said, it's about control. If you eat sensibly, you can lose weight. And it will take time. Look at me. I lost a lot of weight. Weighed almost 400 pounds about 14 years ago...almost 15 years ago. And a waist when I got married that was 52 inches around.

Now, I weigh about 155, and have a 35 inch waist.

First photo, wedding day, July 24, 1993.

Second photo is from about 4 years ago...man, time flies.

Third photo is about a year (?) or so old...maybe two years. But that should show you how the weight can come off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
dnyed said:
I am on a mission. I want to lose lot's of the weight I've gained lately.

There are so many ways. Commercial clubs (Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, Weight Watchers etc), Trim Spa, (all I can think of with this one is Anna Nicole!:rolleyes: ), diets, like Atkins, South Beach, etc.

I am so confused!

If you have had a successful with something (non Atkins), tell us about it.

Perhaps, we can kinda get an Org weight loss "club". Just have a support system, for us "no-will-power" types...... ;)

What diet / weight loss program worked for you? :)
Hi,

I like your Idea of a club here, to support each other, as I have put a lot of weight on this year, I did rejoined the Gym, and I will start going in Jan.

We could have a support system here, with good Ideas!

John K.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
The diet I've had the most luck with is The Zone. It just makes sense. It's about getting the correct amount of carbs/protein/fats at each meal. I'm not as anal about it as I once was, but I still try and follow it as much as possible. May not be the exact split, but I do try. If you read the book, it gives lots of great suggestions.

I also think exercise is key to any type of diet. Even if it's just walking, or doing an aerobics tape, or some lifting.

But also, as for sticking with a diet. I find it's almost impossible to stick with any eating program if you are just miserable. If day after day, you know you gotta watch what you eat, it just gets old. So, I think having a "free day" really helps. I'll limit any type of desserts to just one day a week, and also allow for one pizza day. Something like that. It gives you something to look forward to, and makes those days where you are eating less not so bad, knowing in a few days, you can eat something that's not so good for you.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
If there's an org weight loss club i want in. I want to be 190lbs by 2007. I'm approx. 230lbs as of 20 seconds ago on the scale it the office kitchen. Actually 233 it read. Now, i'm like 6ft2 so i'm not a fat guy, but i'm unhappy with my figure.
However! I was at one point 260 and with Stacker 2 i dropped to 185, but gained it right back (250 to be correct) when i stopped taking it. Pills aren't the answer, so avoid them.
Good news? I got to 230 by drinking tons of tea, taking smaller portions, and no fried foods (well, once a month as a treat. had white castle this week and fried oysters. yum!). Soda and coffee is my only true vice. 20lbs lost in about 6 months time from changing my eating habits, and since i wasn't suffering i haven't gained any weight back in the last 6 months since losing it. Not bad.

So yeah, a club sounds like fun. So i want to lose 40lbs. Who's signing up?

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
I'm in! I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago, and lost over 20 pounds. It was the first time in my life that I had actually lost weight. Bad news is I gained it all back and then some. This holiday season has been killer.

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
I do as Des does. Except I watch my fat intake as well. I will eat Subway if I have to eat fast food. No cheese, lowfat honey mustard instead of mayo on my sub. I snack on pretzels or baked lays instead of fattening chips. I keep my weight within 5-7 lbs MY ideal size doing this. My ideal size is 5/6 (lost 20 lbs to get there) The rest of the time I eat what I want but stop when I am full and only eat when I am hungry. I have crept up 5+ over the holidays as usual and now have to get serious a few weeks and get it back down. I also love to walk. Walking or other extra exercise will build more muscle and more muscle burns more calories. When I am dieting I walk briskly 3times a week or whatever I can ( move more), eat less fat(no fast food, watch the mayo, butter,oils), eat less calories or burn the extra ones if I overdo it. You should learn about calories and fat. I believe 1 pound of fat is equal to 1600 calories>? So you have to remove or burn that many calories to lose 1 pound. There are math formulas online to figure this out for your size and bodyweight.
This works well for me. I am 5'5 137lbs. I need to get down to 132 again. I have went berserk on chocolates lately wich really packs it on me!!!!! I am all for a thread to support each other. Will it be a confessional type thread?

·
Auto X
46 Posts
Deserion said:
Here's what I did.

Portion control, and calorie count.

Dido..
Basic laws of thermal dynamics --- if consumption < intake you have to lose weight.

the one thing I did do is I went to a nutrisionist .. (Apex program .. http://www.apexfitness.com/)

I found that i was not eating enough! This was causing my metabolism to be real slow.. They put me on 5 meals a day (regular food, not the 'Branded' stuff)., I lost 42 pounds in 7 months ith that diet and 45 minutes cardio 5x a week..

The most important thing.. WATER-WATER-WATER ... Probably the most powerfull weight loss tool there is. I was drinking about 4 liters a day.

Remember , nothing that is worth anything is easy!

IMPORTANT note -- THe scale is NOT your friend! Get a scale that measures body mass as well as overall weight. What happens to allot of dieters is they work out too much and eat to little..
Muscle is easier for your body to metabolize, so you will start losing muscle before fat..
Also, muscle is 2.5x as dense as fat.. SO you could be working out , losing fat and gaining muscle, but you overall weight will remain unchanged.. Can lead to dicouragment.

·
Auto X
46 Posts
FineExampl said:
If there's an org weight loss club i want in. I want to be 190lbs by 2007. I'm approx. 230lbs as of 20 seconds ago on the scale it the office kitchen. Actually 233 it read. Now, i'm like 6ft2 so i'm not a fat guy, but i'm unhappy with my figure.
However! I was at one point 260 and with Stacker 2 i dropped to 185, but gained it right back (250 to be correct) when i stopped taking it. Pills aren't the answer, so avoid them.
Good news? I got to 230 by drinking tons of tea, taking smaller portions, and no fried foods (well, once a month as a treat. had white castle this week and fried oysters. yum!). Soda and coffee is my only true vice. 20lbs lost in about 6 months time from changing my eating habits, and since i wasn't suffering i haven't gained any weight back in the last 6 months since losing it. Not bad.

So yeah, a club sounds like fun. So i want to lose 40lbs. Who's signing up?
I am in..
6'1" 299..

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
Yes, scale is not your friend. It varies way too much anyway. I can take a hot bath and lose weight! LOL
I use a tape measure and pay attention to how my clothes fit!

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
I'm in. I'm probably one of the fattest if not the fattest dude on the org. 5'10" and 330 lbs.
Unlike alot of fat people, I've not been fat my whole life. This is a last 12 years developement. So I'm game for a weight loss support group.
We should do it for our NB's. Carrying my weight around has to be hard on it.:D

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm In:

Hi,

Since reading these post I went and got on the scales, do to hurting my back, I have nerve damage in my legs and feet more to the right side, I am not able to carry the weight as well, i am 5' 11" and weigh 240 lbs, I just checked my weight. My heaviest weight was 250 lbs.

So its time to do something about it.

John K.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I lost alot of weight on weight watchers when I was in my late teens but I also was living at home and my mom did the cooking and shopping for me. I also worked for my dad so if in the middle of the day I felt like going to the gym he would let me. I worked out 6 days a week for 2 hours a day. I lost 70lbs in a little less than a year. Damn I was a hottie! :( I'm in...just in case my "plan" falls through :D

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
We need a theme.
Dont be round like your beetle!LOL

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Shoot, i just want to start wearing form fitting shirts again instead of gut covering shirts. To quote Lester B., "I want to look good naked." (Kevin Spacey in American Beauty) That's the sole purpose of my weight loss. That and i don't want to end up like my mom and stepdad and get that double chin goin. It's a curse in my family anyway. Only my immediate family has weight issues. The rest of my family is all thin.

In my garage i have a collection of my thin clothes all neatly folded and waiting for me. I want a 36in waist and the ability to wear a L size tshirt. Not too unreasonable in my opinion.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
LOL Deb...or How bout "Round for the wrong reason." :D

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
LOL Deb...or How bout "Round for the wrong reason." :D
I like it, ha ha

Okay here is a serious big help for me when I am getting started with my diet. A food journal! You might say boring , but this really lets me know what is going on with my eating.
I write down every crumb or liquid that goes in my mouth. Gum, water, coffee, hardcandy anything I eat! After 3-4 days I have usually got my eating under control again. Due to the fact that I finally realize whats going wrong: stress, bad decisions whatever. Do this starting today and you will be so surprised at what you are actually fueling your body with!:cool:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Dottydeb said:
I like it, ha ha

Okay here is a serious big help for me when I am getting started with my diet. A food journal! You might say boring , but this really lets me know what is going on with my eating.
I write down every crumb or liquid that goes in my mouth. Gum, water, coffee, hardcandy anything I eat! After 3-4 days I have usually got my eating under control again. Due to the fact that I finally realize whats going wrong: stress, bad decisions whatever. Do this starting today and you will be so surprised at what you are actually fueling your body with!:cool:
That sounds scary!

1 - 20 of 537 Posts