NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driver window regulator just recently exploded and I have been shopping around for a replacement. I've found several kits and there seems to be a significant price difference between hatch and convertible.

What makes them different besides the panel?

I found a seller that sells a repair kit for a hatch for $29 shipped (no panel). A kit for a convertible cost $74 shipped (no panel). As far as I can tell, they look identical. Can anyone confirm the difference?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Vert window regulators are designed to drop the window about 1/4" to clear the top either when the keyfob unlocks the door and/or when the door is unlocked depending on the year.

Early verts 2003-2004? did not drop the window via the keyfob. My 2003 had both regulators replaced with the newer ones and the car reflashed so the windows drop via the keyfob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The drop of the window on convertibles vs. hardtops is programmed into the comfort control module bases on key fob usage or actuation of the door handle. The difference of the window regulators can't "visually" be seen. The cable used in a convertible is thicker in diameter and is a different length then the other. Unfortunately there is no "cheap" option here you are going to have to purchase the convertible version...

·
Registered
33 Posts
SO where did you buy your regulator...I came to the forum to get an answer to the exact question...I can get the OE unit for $200 with the panel....
$74 sounds a great deal better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts