VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between the dipstick in a '99 NB 2.0L and a 1.8L? The top part of mine is broken off, so I ordered a new one from Amazon and in the picture it looks exactly like mine, but when I checked the compatibility it said it wouldn't fit the 2.0L and only the 1.8L. I haven't tried to put it in yet, but I was just wondering if they use different dipsticks, or if Amazon is just crazy because they look the exact same to me.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
there appears to be 2 different dipsticks. Split is in 1999

Vin 1C-Y-020 001 part number 06A115611C

From 1C-Y-020 002 part number 06B115611R

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Pictures look the same to me too. But they may have used one picture for both parts. I have a 2003 and I'll take some measurements of mine and post them as soon as I get a chance.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
VW noticed quickly that the orange section of the stick will degrade really fast and become brittle especially the orange funnel the stick slides into so they made them out of more stronger plastic thats why the change in part number. This goes for either the 2.0 or 1.8t stick. I don't know if there is a length difference though.

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well today I got the answer to my question. I went to put the new dipstick and measured them both, and sure enough the one for 1.8L is shorter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2.0l AQY engine

Ah...... same problem! Piece of yellow plastic popped off the insertion part of the dipstick handle (Methinks brittle over time) so I purchased a new one..... looks (side by side) exact with the original, fits ok, but feels loose in the tube????
A slight twist and all appears solid.....However:rolleyes:

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah...... same problem! Piece of yellow plastic popped off the insertion part of the dipstick handle (Methinks brittle over time) so I purchased a new one..... looks (side by side) exact with the original, fits ok, but feels loose in the tube????
A slight twist and all appears solid.....However:rolleyes:
I wanted to just use the one that I have too but after talking with my dad he brought up a good point that when I go to get my oil changed or just to check it it won't be accurate due to the different lengths

1 - 8 of 8 Posts