NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2006 NBC - has about 70,000 miles and a 5-speed manual.

A PPI indicates bad differential bearings. Two other (not so independent) parties disagree.

I had noticed some droning sound while crusing along. Not under acceleration. Not being familiar with the sounds of this car, one might think it was just tire noise.

Is this a common problem?

If it is true - is this something that would be catastrophic in the near future if left unrepaired?

I appreciate any input!

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
The diff bearings themselves, are not expensive; it would require a full removal and opening up of the transmission, however. Once you get in there; I wouldn't be surprised if other things might need repaired or replaced as well. As always; there are many other fish in the sea and I would look elsewhere for a car that is in better condition. Internal gear noises in a trans or in the drive train can be hard to diagnose (without tearing down the trans); wheel bearings, are the most common "droning" problem that comes up on these cars. Diff bearings at 70k; seems odd unless something catastrophic happened; the oil leaked out and got low or the oil was contaminated with metal shavings etc. Purchasing a car with a "problem"; comes down to how willing you are at taking a risk, it could be simply the wheel bearings or major internal trans issues. I would have it professionally diagnosed or make the sale; dependent on the issue being resolved (repaired correctly prior to you buying it). Again, cupped tires and bad wheel bearings are common. If you purchase the car for REALLY cheap and that gives you room for the repair costs and still coming out ahead; that might be something consider but you need to figure out the worst case scenario, bottom line total (e.g. total transmission rebuild or replacement costs and labor).

It depends on the type of person you are; many in the car business, buy cars that need repairs and come out ahead. This requires; that you "know" that problem, many times fix it yourself or can get the car really cheap.

If this doesn't describe; that type of person you are, then get a car that is in good shape and doesn't have any major problems. They are out there; avoid the problem cars, unless you are going to fix it yourself or have a shop that can do the work for you, still come out ahead of the game. There are so many unknowns in this scenario; are you willing to take the risk of being stuck with the repair bills, is the car worth it? Why are you considering buying a "problem" car; how much are they asking for it? Who is selling it; a dealer or individual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Billy.

You are right, not worth the risk.

Just trying to help my daughter find a NBC that isn't going to cost her an arm and a leg in the future.

Figured manual trans was the way to go. How about in later models - 2010 for example - how are the auto transmissions in 2010 models?

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
From what I understand 03s/04s had many problems but I believe the auto transmissions (specifically 2006 and up) should be fine AS LONG AS you flush and replace your transmission fluid at every 40,000 miles. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The other day I test drove an 09 NBC because I am getting one soon, and it drove so nicely I fell in love with it and now I have 6 more months of stick shifting before I sell the NB i have now for an automatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts