VW Beetle Forum banner

Differential fluid

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  kraftwerkturbo 
#1 ·
I have an 04 beetle with the 01M transmission 132k miles. My repair manual says to use 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. It does not mention if it need to be API GL-4 or API GL-5. Does VW use a specific brand? Thanks

#4 ·
That kit is for a DSG. If it were the O9G, its a 6-speed tiptronic, not DSG.

OP - Do you have a 4-speed auto or the tiptronic? I would also say probably GL-4. I know that's what the manual trans takes.

#5 ·
That kit is for a DSG. If it were the O9G, its a 6-speed tiptronic, not DSG.

OP - Do you have a 4-speed auto or the tiptronic? I would also say probably GL-4. I know that's what the manual trans takes.
I have the 4 speed. I can’t shift manually to different gears only drive.

The 01m transmission was used from 98-03. Starting in 04 the transmission was changed to the 09? Something or other. You can consider yourself fortunate as this transmission is slightly better than the 01m.
It is a 01m. Maybe they made the switch to 09 after mine was made.

#6 ·
Looks like it is GL-4. I watched a video of VW mechanic checking it and someone in the comments asked GL-4 or GL-5? He said "GL-4 but GL-5 is also OK (IMO). The issue with GL-5 (as far as I know) is that it affects brass rings under high temperature conditions. Regular normal driving should be a non issue. Racing applications, probably not." Didn't not specify a brand but just 75W-90 GL-4.

#11 ·
GL rating is a PRESSURE rating. But the issue is that GL-5 (higher pressure, heavy duty gears) is often using additives that 'eat' yellow metal like brass, bronze, etc. THEREFORE, manual transmission (using synchro rings for example) should use GL-4 (brass safe), whereas most rear diffs (w/o limited slip or similar) can use GL-5. Unfortunately, the labeling is often "GL-4 and GL-5 compatible", which is true as far as PRESSURE is concerned, but does NOT address the corrosiveness.

I personally go with true GL-4 gear oil for anything that has yellow metal it. Not many pure GL-4 out there, but Redline for example makes one.

#9 ·
Ok you are correct the 01m does have a different spot for that. I missed that in reading what you were doing, looks like reading comprehension is next on my list of to do items.

Go down to post #12 Mogolf is the guy who gives a short diy write up on this procedure and tells you the correct oil needed.

#10 ·
So I changed the differential fluid was super easy DIY. My 04 is 134,xxx miles. I would suggest anyone with the 01m transmission who has not changed the differential fluid to do so or has no knowledge of it being done. Fluid is cheap transmissions are not. I don't know if they also considered this fluid also "lifetime." This is what my fluid looked like new fluid on the left and the old fluid on the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.