1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts
Guessing you have an automatic?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts
There is no checking fluid level in a VW auto, at least there isn't a dipstick. Biggest thing is just keeping the fluid and filter changed on a regular basis. Newer cars, 40k is the interval. VW claimed "lifetime fluid" on the mk4 autos, which is BS of course - any fluid needs to be changed at some point. If it hasn't been changed, I would go ahead and do fresh fluid and filter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haynes for 1998-2005 has a section for differential level check on automatic transaxle every 30,000 miles or 30 months.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 06 beetle w/a 2.5 L, 6 speed auto, and I have been looking for the same answer that you are. I just looked it up on the manual site they list below and it says that the differential is "filled for life" and there is no way to check it.
I bought a Golf once that the differental was eaten completely up from lack of lube is why I was worried. It was a 4 cyl with an auto and had a plug on the side to check in with.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Solved! MOGolf on TDIClub Says - Differential Fluid Change

For the differential fluid you need to remove the speedometer sensor and drive gear. Remove the air cleaner box so you have more room for access down to the sensor/drive gear. You'll need a 24mm socket, IIRC, or use an adjustable wrench. Disconnect the electrical connector and use the wrench to remove the sensor with its drive gear.

Using a suction device like a Pela, suck out the differential fluid. You will want to have driven the vehicle to make this fluid warm or it will be a slow extraction.

Using a long neck funnel pour in .75L of 75W-90 full synthetic gear lube. I use Valvoline and the only place I've found it is at NAPA stores.

Take a look at the speedometer sensor drive gear. The end of it that sticks into the differential has a narrowed tip. The top of the narrowed section is the full mark. The difference between that and the end of the gear is .1L. Wipe off the gear and screw it into the differential, then take it back out to check the level. If overfull, you can use the Pela to extract the extra.

I recommend applying a thin amount of silicone sealant around the "flange" part of the gear the mates flush with the top of the differential case, at the top of the threaded part. If you don't there is a high probability that the fluid you just put in will leak out. (Don't ask how I know.)

Screw in the sensor, reconnect the electrical connector, reinstall the air cleaner box.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't See the Vehicle Speed Sensor

I removed the air cleaner box and used the compressor to blow out some rat turds sitting on top of the transaxle but I didn't see the Vehicle Speed Sensor so I put it back together and called it a niGht.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts