VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Haynes says: The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located on the transaxle. The sensor is triggered by a toothed rotor on the transaxle output shaft. As the output shaft rotates, the sensor produces a fluctuating voltage, the frequency of which is proportional to vehicle speed. The ECM uses the sensor input signal for several different engine and transmission control functions. The VSS signal also drives the speedometer on the instrument panel. A defective VSS can cause various driveability ad transaxle problems.

Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. LOCATE THE VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR. #goodluck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What’s this plug? It looks like the differential drain plug and there’s a stain on my new driveway. Marilyn’s been up on blocks for a while now. There’s a drop on it.
Auto part

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I took the engine mounts off on the driver’s side to find this
This is what it looks like with the black cap on.
Guess I’ll call it a night since I have no idea where the vehicle speed sensor is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On my 0M1 transmission 4 speed I can find mine by looking for a heat shield covering the sensor connection. It looks like a bag. Maybe yours has the same thing.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
All right. One more time....the 09G 6 speed transmission and the associated differential share the same ATF fluid. You do NOT change the differential fluid. The final drive ((differential) is lubricated by the ATF from the same sump as the transmission. They are ONE unit. See the attached overview of the unit.

Also the following is from page 14 of the attachment.....pay attention to the last sentence:

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I ended up going to the dealership in the next city, gave Marilyn’s engine code and VIN to get this printout: (Still can’t find it)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Figure 13 is the transmission input sensor. To replace that you'd have to drain fluid, drop the pan, pull the valve body to get to that sensor. If you are trying to check the differential for the 09g you would just make sure your transmission fluid is full. walnut showed a picture saying it all uses same fluid from same source. The VSS dipstick is for the 01m transmissions.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts
Check that pdf that Jarhead posted. Its straight from VW all about that transmission.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is this the vehicle speed sensor on Marilyn, my 2004 Beetle? You can see the lower radiator hose and I don’t know what that red thing is.
That “red thing” must be the automatic transaxle fill plug according to Haynes and I just went to the VW dealership in the next city for some new seals before I start but they were only able to give me a crush washer “for the bottom of the transmission pan.” View attachment 250274

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That “red thing” must be the automatic transaxle fill plug according to Haynes and I just went to the VW dealership in the next city for some new seals before I start but they were only able to give me a crush washer “for the bottom of the transmission pan.” View attachment 250274
I went to a German repair shop today with the automatic transaxle fill plug in hand and the mechanic popped the red cap off (it’s got a little hook) but now I can’t get the next cap off the fill plug! Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I brought it to Jiffy Lube before I saw your post and they figured it out.
I broke the grey fill tube a little. Hope the little plastic piece that fell into the transmission doesn’t do any damage!
Font Automotive lighting Camera accessory Gas Auto part

·
Registered
15,931 Posts
Pretty common for them to break, heat, makes them brittle, easy to break; i had to replace them on VW transmissions i have worked on. The VW part #'s should be on the old parts and you can order them from your local vw dealer or online.

Example of 01M replacement kit: (looks different)

Confirm, correct parts by looking at the old part #'s or by your cars VIN #.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I’m siphoning the old transmission fluid in that I had sitting in the drain pan in my bathroom and now that it’s almost finished it looks like someone poured shampoo in it! Some white goop is on the bottom of the pan.
Food Ingredient Recipe Fluid Tableware

·
Registered
15,931 Posts
Was the pan clean; before you drained the fluid? It most likely, was never changed; i'm sure it needed it. VW always pushed the "lifetime fill"; concept on my transmissions and so, that didn't help.

So, seeing your trans is a "GGZ" code; that is a six speed 09G?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts