VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
That gunky stuff; that came out, certainly looks weird!

What does the oil pan and filter look like?
The oil pan and filter were fine. Hooked up OBD Fusion and got a P0705, Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input) stored code. “When code P0705 is triggered, the ECM or TCM is not seeing what gear the transmission is in (park, reverse, neutral, drive, or low). If the ECM or TCM can't verify that the transmission is in park or neutral, it will not allow the vehicle to start.”
Cleared the code, tried to start but she wouldn’t stay running and the immobilizer was flashing.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
What scan tool are you using? Trans faults and immo diagnosis; could really benefit, from a vw factory level scan tool, like vcds by Ross Tech.

A immo problems, typically; throws this code:

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
Your trans code; is somewhat generic, it sounds like your gear selector assembly maybe defective, a common problem but looking at live data with vcds, could confirm the selector is working correctly.

A 09G six speed in a new beetle Convertible I was working on; had a bad selector and had to be replaced. This was confirmed by live data in vcds; the position in the speedo lcd display and selector position did not match. When I disassembled the shift selector; the sensor was broken and it was obvious, why it didn’t work.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Your trans code; is somewhat generic, it sounds like your gear selector assembly maybe defective, a common problem but looking at live data with vcds, could confirm the selector is working correctly.

A 09G six speed in a new beetle Convertible I was working on; had a bad selector and had to be replaced. This was confirmed by live data in vcds; the position in the speedo lcd display and selector position did not match. When I disassembled the shift selector; the sensor was broken and it was obvious, why it didn’t work.
Is the immobilizer still flashing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and I plugged in the Vag-Com to get “Ross-Tech USB Interface Not Found!” when I clicked the test button.

Windows makes a sound like duh-duh-duh when I plug in the USB cable. I inserted the CD with the driver software that came with the cable but get the popup “CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE There was a problem installing this hardware FT232 USB UART…driver is not intended for this platform.”

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
Is this a genuine ross tech cable or a knock off? The genuine ross tech cables; do not come with software, you download it from their website and go through the install process, then, go through the test procedure, confirming the usb port is functional. After that, things should work and you should be able to use VCDS and a auto scan, is always a good first step, to view any trouble codes.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I was following this video’s instructions then a light bulb went on above my head and I decided to just try the key that the locksmith made and she fired right up!
I guess I’ll get back on the transmission fluid level check process before bothering to program the original key.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
Ok, so the “problem” key, causing the No start, immo light kicking on; maybe has not been programmed to the car? Typically, in the key matching process; you need to program ALL the keys you want to use at the same time; (dealers always ask you to given them all your keys you have) I if that key was left out, when that was done by the locksmith, the key wouldn’t be matched to the car anymore or may never have been matched to begin with? It sounds like you have narrowed down the immo issue to a particular key; that is great to know and it sounds like you do not have a fault i the car itself, which can be a challenge to diagnose.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
That’s correct, since the original key wasn’t available when the locksmith made the new key the original wouldn’t have been matched.

Now I’m back on the transmission level check but vag-Com port test says “Ross-Tech USB Interface Not Found!.”

41 - 60 of 74 Posts