VW Beetle Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I idled her for 15 minutes then opened the level check plug but nothing came out. Turned her off, added another quart of transmission fluid, started her again and used my siphon to add more fluid until dripping occurred at the level-check plug then I shut her off, closed everything, then put air in the tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I idled for 15 minutes. I had her up on jackstands overnight in the driveway and the next day I Checked the level again but had to add 1-1/2 quarts before fluid dripped out of the level-CHeck hole.

Drove quite a distance today with no problems.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
So, that is a solid fix(?); did you check the trans fluid temps, when checking fluid levels? I found the the temps to be crucial; to know, that you have the levels correct, as they fluctuate when the fluid temps rise.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
She quit today. Haynes blew my F-150 transmission by telling me to add 4 quarts and then not telling me anything else. Now Marilyn is damaged after following directions to add fluid until drops come out of the level check hole. Made it home clunking like there was no fluid in her at all.

I only used my idling 15 minutes to get her up to temp and never checked with Vagcom since my cheap interface didn’t work.

Weird that I was able to drive over 500 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It is not supposed to drip out the fill hole. The drain plug has a stand pipe in it that needs to be removed when draining. After draining the plastic stand pipe is replaced and the transmission is filled till it starts to drip out the drain hole. Then you temporarily replace the drain plug start the car and get the transmission up to temp. At that point you pull the drain plug and add fluid till it once again comes out the drain hole. Reinsert plug and you’re good to go.

I’m not sure if billy linked this video or not I didn’t read back through the whole thread.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I don’t see a way for the transmission fluid to get back up into the transmission from the pan. Seems like someone must have removed a tube when I had her up on blocks in the driveway. Is there a way for the fluid to get back up from the pan?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
At 1:22 on the video is the part about the small stand pipe. Do you not have one in your transmission? That little plastic tube is absolutely critical for setting the proper transmission level.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts