NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who have a digital camera, do you know anything about the flash being "tied to" the camera shake / image stabilization? let me give you an example:

i own a canon powershot A75, 3MP camera. i was out shooting photos last spring in a heavily-wooded park. though there were trees everywhere, there was plenty of sunshine, so i didn't use my flash. most of my pictures that day came out blurry, except the ones where i DID use the flash.

i have noticed this on canon powershots only (so far). for some reason, the flash acts as an image stabilizer and when you don't use it, you run the risk of your photos coming out blurry. where this frustrates me is this: i am indoors and wanting to take an up-close (macro mode) shot of my bird. there's enough light in the room, so i don't use the flash. all my pics come out blurry. if i DO use the flash, it washes out the subject (my bird) as the camera is too close.

i generally don't like using the flash when there's enough light, as i prefer natural light to "flash" light, but i kinda have to, otherwise my pictures are blurry. i can see in my viewfinder when the camera senses it's not "still" enough - i get the "camera shake" icon, meaning i should use a tripod. it would seem like the shutter speed would be fast enough (1/60 sec) to avoid this sort of thing, but it's not.

does anyone else have a digital camera where the flash is tied to some kind of image stabilization? if so, what do you do in situations where there IS enough light, but it seems like you have to use the flash anyway? help!

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Well, it's hard for me to imagine that the flash is actually acing as a stabilizer. But, it's definitely possibly that non-flash pictures are more blurry than flash-pictures. I imagine you are just getting a slower shutter speed when you don't use the flash, and the blurriness is a result of that. As for what you can do -- a tripod is the obvious answer, but is not always possible. You might consider one of the small monopods or just try to find a solid object that you can stabilize your camera against.

I think everyone's a little different as far as what shutter speed they can handhold well. I seem to have steady hands -- one night I handheld a two-second shot in a bar and it came out almost un-shaken. But I've got a friend who can barley handhold 1/120 without some blurriness.

Another thing to consider, if you're ever in buying mode again, is that smaller cameras almost always will exhibit more camera shake than larger ones. You might consider getting something a little more hefty than the A75 if you are having trouble with it (says the guy with the miniscule Canon SD400).

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jcroft said:
Another thing to consider, if you're ever in buying mode again, is that smaller cameras almost always will exhibit more camera shake than larger ones. You might consider getting something a little more hefty than the A75 if you are having trouble with it (says the guy with the miniscule Canon SD400).
my next camera will be the canon powershot S2 IS, but that won't be until next summer. right now, $470 is a bit much for me.

i'll have to look at the shutter speed when it's taking the photo without the flash on. thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
callisto9 said:
my next camera will be the canon powershot S2 IS, but that won't be until next summer. right now, $470 is a bit much for me.

i'll have to look at the shutter speed when it's taking the photo without the flash on. thanks for the tip.
That's a nice camera. A friend has one and I've considered getting one myself. I wish the megapixels were a little higher, then it's be a real DSLR competitor!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jcroft said:
That's a nice camera. A friend has one and I've considered getting one myself. I wish the megapixels were a little higher, then it's be a real DSLR competitor!
5MP is more than enough for me. since i primarily just look at my photos on my laptop or make 4X6 prints, even a 3MP has been fine. the S2 IS is about the only digital camera out there that has all the features i am looking for: 12X optical zoom (yay!), runs on regular batteries not a proprietary one, image stabilizer, AF-assist...the specs are impressive:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is.asp

my mom has one (as recommended by me) and i've taken it on vacation once. i absolutely love it. i've been drooling over the camera for quite some time. i initally wanted the S1 IS, but it lacked a few things. the S2 has it all. :D

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Jeff is correct. Your shutter speeds are too slow when you are using available light. When the flash fires, it provides enough light to use a faster shutter speed, thus reducing the blurred photos.

Use a tripod or set your camera on something solid to shoot slower shutter speeds.

There is no connection between flash and Image stabilization, at least that I know of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts