VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as long as I have had this 1999 bug, the headlights are total
s**t! I have drivin with High beams ONLY ALL THE TIME I HAVE OWNED IT! I checked the voltage going to the lights, and its about 10 volts? No wonder?? Why is it like this? If this was not a Diesel, I would have THROWN IT AWAY LONG AGO! I have had VW's all my life, but this So called New Beetle has more problems than a Edsel!! Anyway, anyone have a idea why it has low voltage only on headlights? Rear ones work fine, and running lights good too, HELP

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I had to rewire my daughters now wife’s beetle headlights a year or so ago. Pull the headlight and the back comes off exposing the wiring. That wiring was all cracked and brittle, I renewed it.

10v is low, very low, have you changed out the fuses? Even though they are obviously good new fuses might help, recheck the voltage after a change out. Keep in mind there are 4 fuses 1 each for right and left high and low beams.

The headlight switch on the steering column may also be problematic, try spraying the mechanism with some electrical spray cleaner like CRC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts