NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hoping this won't be different from UK to USA but I am having an ongoing issues with my headlights. I will try to explain the best way I can!

I'll have the dipped beam on, or full beam driving along in the dark evenings. Just randomly the beam (whether its dipped or full) will 'die' a little, the brightness dims for a second and then it picks up again.

Any ideas?

Not that I think it will be relevant to engine size but it is of course a 1.8T as I've posted in this section.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sarah

·
Registered
424 Posts
Alternator??

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed mine does the same, I figured its the German engineering or a slight voltage change in the under sized wiring caused by the daytime running lights....and my fuse pack and wiring is all new.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from posting on other forums too - it seems like this is a common issue with only the petrol engines. Glad it's not something I've done!

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Both of my Beetles have done this. My 2000GLX and also my 2003.5 TS. I replaced the battery in my TS last year, it was 8yo and I noticed that it happened a lot less often. My opinion, it's just the voltage regulator doing its thing, cycling the draw from the alternator to the battery, and this is the flickering that you see. Mine will do it more when it is cold or been sitting a while, on long runs after the alternator has had a chance to top the battery up it will hardly flicker at all.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My 99 does it when I roll up the windows at night. Well, probably during the day too,but I can't see it then.;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts