NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 NB with the Monsoon system...is there a way to directly connect to an alternative input? Like RCAs? Trying to get laptop sound (for movies) to come out cleaner over the system than using an RF Modulator or Tape deck adapter.

Thanks

JP

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Yep, there is an easy way to do that. Click here! It's got all the information you need, and then some! The information you are seeking are in the 6th post near the bottom in the "Adapters for the factory CD changer harness" section.

I personally have a VWCDPIC, which I bought from a member here on the Org. It connects to the cd changer plug in the trunk, and I ran a Monster Cable set of RCA's to just above the cup holders. The left and right plugs get mated to female RCA plugs to 1/8" mini plug. Works great and sounds worlds better than the tape adaptor.

Good luck! :wave:

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link!! :)

So, to confirm...I could get any one of those adapters that fit into the CD changer slot in the trunk? And the other end of these adapters are RCA jacks?

From the pictures on those links of the one you have I don't see RCA inputs on the other side...I see a VGA input. Do you have a different one?

Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. That post you linked to says they are all the same...is that true?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The price seems about right. Blitzsafe & PIE both make one as well at around $60US.

You'll need the cable that allows you to connect the 2 RCA to a single 1/8" audio-style plug. Something similar to this

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just noticed that device has 2 sets of inputs instead of 1. Not bad for $59.

Looks like Crutchfield also has the RCA-to-3.5mm cable under the Accessories tab for $4.99. One stop shopping.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks pretty basic...and I've already got a mini-RCA cable. Looks like the hardest part is finding the CD changer input...but i'm sure I could find someone that knows where that is right? :)

Because of the limited use, I doubt I will go too far in hiding the cable and making it more of a permanent install...so it will be pretty basic for me. Just plug and play. Not too concerned with cables being draped over seats or anything like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jpdeuce said:
Looks like the hardest part is finding the CD changer input...but i'm sure I could find someone that knows where that is right? :)
Not sure on this one. It could depend on your production year. Check your owners manual - it may provide a clue.

Mine was inside the center console to the rear of the parking brake assembly. I accessed it through the storage compartment under the center arm rest. The storage compartment itself is a molded plastic box that simply pops out.

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
In a coupe it should be near where the CD changer is located - I would guess in your model it would be similar to mine - located drivers side trunk - there is a plastic piece that is covering the location on the sidewall. Pop off the plastic cover and there it is!

I installed mine behind the head unit because I had issues with the CD harness mount - had problems with two different units so I decided to go to the head and tuck the wires to the emergency brake for easy access for my MP3 player.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've read it's in the trunk where Antoine said. I was putting stuff in the trunk last night and didn't find it with a cursory look...but it was dark and that really wasn't what I needed to get done. I'm hoping to get this thing for Christmas...so I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
2006 changer location

Mine's located in the trunk, on the left side. There is a rubber cover, IIRC, that you must remove to get to the connector.

Note that the 2006 models have a 1/8" (3mm) stereo plug on the bottom of the radio console, as well as an AUX input selection.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
jpdeuce said:
From what I've read it's in the trunk where Antoine said. I was putting stuff in the trunk last night and didn't find it with a cursory look...but it was dark and that really wasn't what I needed to get done. I'm hoping to get this thing for Christmas...so I'll let you know how it goes.
It will take more than a "cursory look" ;)
It's in a small access hole, behind the carpet on the wall of the driver's side of the trunk.
It would only be in the center console of you have the newer console type (large triangular-shaped console with the cigarette lighter mounted on the front and the rectangular black padded cover). It was introduced with the 2003 'verts, then came to the 2003.5-2004 coupes. 2006's went back to the connector being in the trunk.... but, like vance said, the 2005's and 2006's already have an aux input built into the dash, so the CD changer connector only comes in handy for a PhatBox :D

The USA Spec interface is decent. You really can't go wrong. The Blitzsafe and PIE have been around longer, and are slightly better quality... but as long as you're not dropping it from a 10 story building, you won't notice the difference.

The cheapest option would be to find a VWCDPIC someone wants to part with, or to build one yourself using Ed's schematics (my How-to that jdesigns pointed you to earlier should have a link to Ed's site... parts would cost you less than $10). But beyond that, they're all going to run in the $45-60 range. Unless you're lucky/patient enough to find one on eBay.

But you'll be so much happier with a direct connection than you would be with an FM modulator or tape deck interface! I hope Santa is good to you! :)

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
finding used CD heads

I wonder if you can turn up a 2005 head to put in your Beetle? That would give you the AUX input, too. (I didn't know that. The '06 sales literature made it sound like it's something totally new.)

I'm sure someone out there must have pulled out the factory sound system to put in something "better". Check eBay. Or post a note in this forum -- maybe someone here has done it and would like to get the unused piece out of their garage.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Beeble said:
I wonder if you can turn up a 2005 head to put in your Beetle? That would give you the AUX input, too. (I didn't know that. The '06 sales literature made it sound like it's something totally new.)
It's a little bit of a hassle, but can be done, yes. The molex connectors for the speakers and amp (if Monsoon) are identical. But then you have to route the line for the AUX plug, and... (gasp)... drill a hole in your dash.

As with any VW head replacement, you want to make sure that you're replacing a Monsoon with a Monsoon, and a non-Monsoon ("premium") with a non-Monsoon. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble... or, at the very least, asking for a lot of added cost.

I've seen factory AUX inputs in 2005s. But I'm not entirely sure when in the model year production they appeared... could be 2005 1/2's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts