NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried to disable the daytime running lights from the how-to on here. i tried taping the TFL pin four different times, and it wouldn't work.

i have a 2001 NB and followed the directions exactly and yet, no dice. anyone know what i am doing wrong? i went back and read some of the threads from the old forums and i can't see that i'm missing anything.

i also read you can bend down the TFL pin. i don't mind doing this, but i am wondering if this is the right pin. i had it completely taped over and yet my DRLs were still on. i also read that you can bend down the B pin, too? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I taped over the B and TFL and that took care of it. I don't like the idea of bending - because if I ever want them back, I don't want the pin to snap off when I bend it back up.

I was worried that taping both might cause something else not to work - but everything else works fine. This is on our 2000 - so try taping both and see if that works.

·
1,255 Posts
Relay 173 Method

Try this method by placing tape on relay 173 contacts:
Please note: This is not my write up, just copied it from another web site a year or two ago.

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both of you! i'll try the tape method first, since it's easier and if that doesn't work, i'll try removing the relay switch.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Good grief.. the relay method is ridiculously complicated. I used an xacto and cut to thin slivers of electrical tape and laid them over the B and TFL prongs. The width of a standard roll of electrical tape is the perfect size for the sliver to cover up one side of the prong and down the other. Done with no unintended consequences.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Porkchop said:
I taped over the B and TFL and that took care of it. I don't like the idea of bending - because if I ever want them back, I don't want the pin to snap off when I bend it back up.

I was worried that taping both might cause something else not to work - but everything else works fine. This is on our 2000 - so try taping both and see if that works.
thanks for the tip. did it today and all is well. no DRLs! yay! :clap:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
callisto9 said:
thanks for the tip. did it today and all is well. no DRLs! yay! :clap:
you know what? it seems as it taping the B plug disabled my fog lights. all tape has been removed. this was too much of a PITA. DRLs will live on in curby!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
My taping the B and the TFl did not affect my foglights. Your car was made by Gremlins. :(

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porkchop said:
My taping the B and the TFl did not affect my foglights. Your car was made by Gremlins. :(
it's possible what you say is true. all i know is this: taped TFL + B plug, no DRL, no fogs. un-taped TLF + un-taped B plug = DRLs and fogs working.

i have no idea. this whole disabling DRLs wasn't worth the trouble! bah! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
FineExampl said:
This seems like a good time to ask.

Why would i want to disable my DRLs? Is there an advantage?
DRLs run at 80% power, so VW says, but regardless they run the low beams. This will cause the bulb to burn out faster. My car had it's DRLs on first two years of it's life and disabled the last two... the factory bulbs lasted until a month ago (that's 4 years, and the first two it only had 9000 miles on it, I got 70k out of factory lights.. or there about). That's why I wanted mine disabled, mainly, but also because I like to be able to sneak into a parking lot and NOT have everyone notice I'm coming in. Why? Because when I pull into my parents neighborhood at night, I don't want to wake their neighbor's dog.. who will wake up if any lights hit the front window to their home.. turning the switch off now with the DRLs off keeps them sleeping and me from being a bad neighbor. Also, I have the personal opinion that DRLs aren't going to save your life -- if they missed the bright green color of my bug they sure aren't gonna see the barely visible headlights in the daytime. But that's just me :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kcfoxie said:
Also, I have the personal opinion that DRLs aren't going to save your life -- if they missed the bright green color of my bug they sure aren't gonna see the barely visible headlights in the daytime. But that's just me :)
well said. i never have understood DRLs. if you can't see a giant car, then you shouldn't be driving.

·
baddassbug
66 Posts
i have a 98 2.0 i put the euro switch in so i have the choice of just parking lights, i have 126,000 miles and im still on factory bulbs euro switch has only been in there about 10,000 miles. but of course mines a 98 so my fog lights havent worked since around 80,000 miles. think wire broke or something.....

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
just bend the damn tab...lol when will you ever want them back and why. :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Using DRL increases your visibility, despite the fact that the lights are only running at 80%. The fact that your car is easier to spot increases safety, which is generally a good thing.

Add to the fact that too many drivers do not turn on their regular lights when the situation calls for it, having DRLs will at least give you some lights on during times of decreased visibility (fog, rain, dusk, dawn).

Sacrificing the added security of increased visibility over $10 every two years (which is normal run-time for light-bulbs, if not more) is hardly worth it.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
i think that it looks better when your driving aroung on a cloudless 100deg day with your lights off

1 - 20 of 24 Posts