NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!!
I'd like to know if any one has ever attempted to disable the day time running light feature in the VW beetles.

I've got two Beetles with this feature that I cannot stand.Not to mention the wear on the lights this causes by running anytime the E-brake is released..

So does anyone know if this feature can be disabled with ease ?
Or has anyone tried it?

I know that when the E-brakes are released the lights come on.So I wonder if its something attached to the E-brake lever or if the funtction can be turned off somewhere else.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While im in the question asking mood.. Has anyone seen a good place to purchase a chiltons or a haynes manual on the New beetle?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get a manual from Bentley publishers-way better than haynes or chiltons. To disable the DRL you will have to pull the switch and either bend back or tape the B or TFL pin(one of them will do it). Then put the switch back in. You might want to get a euro switch to give you much more control over your lights too....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grover said:
Get a manual from Bentley publishers-way better than haynes or chiltons. To disable the DRL you will have to pull the switch and either bend back or tape the B or TFL pin(one of them will do it). Then put the switch back in. You might want to get a euro switch to give you much more control over your lights too....
Thanks a ton man....

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
While the How-To talks about the pin method for the light switch, this never worked. The fool proof and harder method is to get under the dash and remove relay #173, pull it apart and put tape between the actuator and it's contact, then put it back in. This relay controls the DRLs and the Brake warning light on the dash, removed the brake light does not light up nor do the DRLs -- if that's suitable, then you don't need to "mod" it. I did this about 4 months into owning my car (nearing 3 years ago) and I've never had a problem with the mod.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What do you mean the pin method never worked? Am I hallucinating then that my DRLs are off? Why would I want to mess with the relay when there is no need??

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
let me clarify: I never had any success with it. I've also seen where some Jettas, even with tape on the pin, still have the DRLs come on. It's not a perfect solution to me, by any means. Disabling the relay, however, worked fine. And it always will work. Its a bit more work, but, I never take the relay back out. I have removed my headlight control switch *a few times* to fix the cables that lead to my aftermarket fogs. It's all on the user and the car, try the pin method, if it fails, hack the relay.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the clarification...Sometimes words come across wrong :lol: I do know that the pin is different for different years. Many people have the tfl pin work for them but mine only worked with the b pin.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
I think it must be year specific - a cruise through the Bentley wiring diagrams would tell, but that's like effort, man. taping the TFL worked on my 99, on the euroswitch, and hasn't failed yet.

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
The TFL tape thing either work or it doesn't depending on year. I've read alot of post and I can't find any rhyme or reason to which cars can or can't use the TFL method. If it works for you congrats you are one of the lucky ones. If it doesn't, the relay method work on all of them.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8718&highlight=relay
This is a link to the thread that has my relay method. A little different than some but it was easy and has worked for a while now on mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grover said:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=VB02

$80.00 ???? Gulp LOL

·
Ciarog
117 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Removed the 173 relay under the steering wheel access panel. DRL's are off 2002 beetle.Process took 3 hrs to find the torx screwdriver and 5 minutes to remove the relay and test :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KittenPoker said:
Ralph, if you're keeping your NB for awhile it's totally worth the $$$ for the Bentleys. We had one for the Passat that was awesome. Far more comprehensive than a Chilton's or Haynes. Search eBay also for paper manuals for about $60.

Keeping my DLR's. Too many tunnels here!!!
TY for the input .The bentleys seems way way larger and I found a few on eaby half for like 35 to 45 bucks new..So I'm gonna go with one :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts