NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to buy a headlight switch from a part out Beetle. It arrived today and I bent the pin labeled TFL. I removed the original headlight switch, installed the modified replacement and come to find that my DRL's still come on :dunno:

So, there is a slight different between the two switches: The original one has "DRL" on the right side and the replacement one does not.

Original headlight switch:
photo 2 copy.JPG

Replacement switch:
photo 1 copy.JPG

I was hoping to not mess with the original switch, that is why I got a replacement. If I do bend the TFL pin on my original switch will the DRL's be disabled? Perhaps I should get a Euro Switch?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I tried the same thing with no success.
On the New Beetle you need to remove the wire to the B terminal.
I recommend removing the wire and taping it off instead of bending the pins. You can always reinstall it later if needed.

Good luck.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the same thing with no success.
On the New Beetle you need to remove the wire to the B terminal.
I recommend removing the wire and taping it off instead of bending the pins. You can always reinstall it later if needed.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response! I was hoping that no wires had to be messed with :(

From what I can tell this means I'll have to remove a panel. There was very little movement of the wires when I pulled out the switch. That looks like one of the yellow and green wires. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable messing with the wires :confused:

Maybe gaining access to vagcom would be easier than possibly screwing up the wiring?

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh goodness, that TFL pin doesn't even plug into anything :crazy:

I am going to try bend or tape the B pin and see how that works out. Thank you again for your help :)

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I just unpinned the wire from the connector and taped it. You can try bending or taping if you don't have the right tool.
I do a lot of modifications to my VW's but I always make sure it's easy to put back to factory spec. You never know when you want to undo something or want to sell the car. I'm just nuts like that.

Good luck!

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just unpinned the wire from the connector and taped it. You can try bending or taping if you don't have the right tool.
I do a lot of modifications to my VW's but I always make sure it's easy to put back to factory spec. You never know when you want to undo something or want to sell the car. I'm just nuts like that.

Good luck!
I fully understand your point, this is why I bought another headlight switch. I am keeping my original one in a safe place and unaltered. That way if I mess something up or want DRL's back on again for whatever reason all I have to do is reinstall my original, unmodified, and now spare, switch :)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I've never seen a switch with DRL on it. Interesting....I bent the B pin on mine, probably the only mod I haven't screwed up! Did that work on yours?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
^^ I agree with CoriBug.
I first bent my TFL but that didn't work, next came the B pin & all was well.
Of course, I now have a Euro switch

·
1,255 Posts
Do a search on this issue. There are many posts on modifying the light switch. May have to delve in the archived files. If I remember correctly some cars may required bending pin B, but do a search first to confirm my memory before bending pin B.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
IIRC the B pin didn't do anything on mine, but something else did.. I'll go check in a bit and see which one I bent down. I wonder if there's a variation between switches?

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not had a chance to try the B pin yet. I'll try to find some more information and then test it out. I really want the DRL's to be turned off :p

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Here's mine. It's a euro switch so I'm not sure if it's the same.

Attachments

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you!

All the pin labels read the same as the switch I have. I'll try that B pin this evening and report back if it worked or not.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My DRLs are not working and I did nothing to do that!

So maybe if you are patient with time they'll just stop working. :D

But seriously, I should figure out why the DRLs no longer work but the regular head lights, brights, and fogs show no issue.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts

But seriously, I should figure out why the DRLs no longer work but the regular head lights, brights, and fogs show no issue.
:rotfl:

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Nice one, you have a very considerate Beetle. :goodjob: I do not have the patience to wait for Buglet to decide it's time for no more DRL's lol

Good News!! The B pin did the trick :D I was able to drive around this evening with the option to turn my lights off.. only problem was that it was dusk and I had to have lights on anyway rofl. I'll be very happy driving tomorrow during daylight with no lights on!!

Thank you all so much for the help :grouphug:

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I'm with you on that. It's dark early and now we have to use our lights. Although I prefer having the choice of turning them on or not.

My Mk4 Jetta was the TFL pin, My Eurovan I believe I had to remove the relay and my Beetle now I had to unpin the B connector (after failing with the TFL). My Mk2 Jetta didn't even know what DRL's were :)

Glad it worked out for you.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm with you on that. It's dark early and now we have to use our lights. Although I prefer having the choice of turning them on or not.

My Mk4 Jetta was the TFL pin, My Eurovan I believe I had to remove the relay and my Beetle now I had to unpin the B connector (after failing with the TFL). My Mk2 Jetta didn't even know what DRL's were :)

Glad it worked out for you.
Thank you VWDope. I was taking the lead on the TFL pin from the TDIclub forums, most VW's on there are Jettas/Golfs/Passats and a only handful of Beetles.

I will eventually upgrade the switch to a Euro switch, that way I'll have more control of what lights are on and when, verses only on or only off :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found this on Google. Bending the “TFL” wire made no difference. Bending the “B” wire did, in fact, disable the DRL in my ‘04 Beetle. So thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts