NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted earlier on this issue, and looking for a final solution: to disable the intermittent oil light flashing light and beeping sound. Drastic, but do I pull the instrument cluster out and break the bulb and speaker? Bulb is obvious, but where is that speaker?
I've spent over $500 to no avail: oil pressure checked, sending unit replaced, oil pump checked, oil pan dropped and oil pickup screen cleaned, coolant temp sensor replaced. The car performs well if it were not for the annoying beeping and flashing for the past 2000 miles. The only other "potential' fix I read on this topic was to replace the ECM - for which I refuse to spend another $400 in parts plus labor for a "trial and error" fix. Additionally, I have no CEL or other symptoms of any mechanical issues. I know I won't have an early warning of oil pressure problems in the future should I disable or destroy the source of this annoying light and sound, but I'm done trying to figure this one out and I'll take my chances. I also know that grounding out the sending unit may or may not solve the problem.
Thanks for any help on the matter.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Have you tried shorting the oil pressure sensor wire to ground and running that way? If that fixes it the problem is indeed in the engine or sensor. If not, it is in the wiring or ECU.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried shorting the oil pressure sensor wire to ground and running that way? If that fixes it the problem is indeed in the engine or sensor. If not, it is in the wiring or ECU.
Unfortunately, we didn't try this prior to changing the sensor and checking pressure on the gauge. Thnks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could code it out with vagcom but I personally would prefer to know what is wrong.
Not sure if you're referring to a code reset, which would likely return to triggering the warning light and beep shortly thereafter. Or is there a way to permanently disable the oil pressure sensor circuit on the ECU with a vagcom code set?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Unfortunately, we didn't try this prior to changing the sensor and checking pressure on the gauge. Thnks
The easiest way to disable the light and alarm would be to ground the sensor wire. If your problem is in the sensor or engine and you choose to go on ignoring it, this will in fact disable the alarm.

If that doesn't work, take the instrument cluster circuit board out and look for the buzzer. Disable it by unsoldering it, cutting a lead or whatever it takes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts