VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Bug with 1.8l and manual transmission made me scratch my head. I had the timing belt and water pump and all the goodies changed 8,000 miles ago and everything went perfectly. A couple weeks ago I parked it and drove my Bronco on a road trip. The next time I drove it suddenly I had a low coolant red flashing light.I went home and the overflow tank was empty, so I filled it up. I drove the car and all was fine for the day. The next day I jumped in and as soon as I started going the same thing happened. I left it idle until the fans cycled, tank was still full. I drove it for about an hour cruising town and checked it when I got home, tank level was still where it was supposed to be. It has been sitting for a few days and I drove it around yesterday and all was well. Could there have ben an air bubble trapped in the system for that long? The only thing I did different was the last day of work, I had Buick try to pass me so I wound the Bug up and held them off. I may or may not have topped 105mph. Could this have dislodged an air pocket? Asking for a friend :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Maybe try a cooling system pressure tester or combustion leak tester, if a head gasket is suspected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5/23/10 <3
11,686 Posts
My guess is there was an air bubble that may have worked its way out.

Reactions: snorkel68

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Whats your budget and what quality do you want? On the low end there is harbor freight, the many Chinese and Taiwanese stuff; then medium grade brands like Mityvac, on the pro grade level, there are brands like Stant, Uview, etc.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Well, on the low end; the HF kit, is made if all plastic, in shop use the hand pump ended up break but for occasional use, it would probably be ok.

If you want the polar opposite; Stant makes their pump out of metal and their adapters are machined aluminum (vw adapters are sold under stant, assenmacher, Gates brands).

Stant pressure tester

VW adapter

The HF kit and many other cheaper kits online; have the benefit of having a wide range of included cooling system adapters to work on most cars on the road today, beneficial if you work in many types, brands of cars, trucks, etc.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
these cars the reservoir sits at the highest point of the system and so bubbles flow to the top so there could have been a air trapped in the system and finally works it's way out. I know that every time i work or break open the coolant system you have to drive around for a while and let the air bubble work their way up into the reservoir and displace the coolant level there, you just add more coolant until all air works it's way out of the coolant system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts