NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't drive my Beetle often, once every two or three weeks? Actually, it is my weekend car. So I want to get the battery disconnected. However, it is said that the New Beetle has an overly sensitive and complex computer control system, often requiring a full system reset by VW dealer. Is that true??? Anyone who parks his Beetle at garage throughout the entire winter in the north of the states or in Canada? How do you handle this issue? :confused::confused::confused:

I am wondering whether disconnecting battery on a regular base may hurt the alternator eventually???

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I'd get a battery tender myself, rather than unhooking the battery. Then you don't have to worry about resetting clocks and things every time you drive the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a battery tender myself, rather than unhooking the battery. Then you don't have to worry about resetting clocks and things every time you drive the car.

:rolleyes: What if the battery is dead and you
DIY replace the dead battery? Do you need to go to VW dealer for resetting clocks, etc???

·
Registered
762 Posts
Any time you restore power to the Engine Control Module (ECM), you should so a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA).

The early 2.0L AEG engines, which have a Drive By Cable throttle body were prone to issues when the ECM power was restored, but no TBA performed... the car would start, run for a second or 2, then die. Once a TBA was performed, the engine was fine.

Drive By Wire throttle bodies don't have that issue, but all the same, a TBA should be done when ECM power is restored.

One touch windows, unlocking the radio and resetting the clock are things you can do your self without special tools or skills once battery power is restored.

Unhooking the battery for storage isn't going to cause any real issue. But having said that, I'd go with a trickle charger as mentioned above. Also, LOCK THE CAR when you put it in storage. Locking the car puts control modules to sleep and greatly reduces the drain on the battery.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've not had issues with removing the battery or disconnecting it. But this is a TDI.

If I were to not drive the car for a long time I'd take out the battery and store it somewhere above freezing. When I want to drive again I'd connect the battery to a charger and get it back up to a full charge. I'd only do that if it was going to be months between use, for a couple of weeks there is no reason to do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts