NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I fitted a new diverter valve along with N75 and I can hear some flutter action when lifting off. The instructions for the DV say to install it reversed to stock orientation. Have a look at the pics, let me know what you think. I have it the factory orientation with the red spring without spacers which claim it's good for 8-22psi. I can swap it over, but need a longer vacuum hose for the nipple. Car is on stock tune, kn filter in stock air box with snow box removed. 3" downpipe to high flow cat to 3" exhaust with bullet style muffler. * Just swapped it around and really no difference, just a mouse sneeze under boost lifting off so not sure what's best. Boost holds around 8psi both ways.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I'm running a forge 008; i contacted forge and they said to run it, in the normal position. This has been discussed pretty heavily on vwvortex: it seems to be such that, some people, try it installed both ways and have the same, results (as you stated).

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I'm not familiar with your brand of diverter valve; to me it looks like a Chinese copy of the Forge 007 diverter valve; I think having a quality diverter valve is probably more important than the position it is in. I would make sure that you have the correct spring installed, it has been said, a too strong spring, can damage the turbo and make sure that it is assembled correctly. For the boost levels; which engine code, 1.8T does your new beetle have? The AWP code: has higher boost, then the standard 150 hp, versions.

The flutter boost issue, could be a issue with the diverter valve itself or other parts; like n249 or n75 valves.

You might test the the diverter valve for leaks; do a process of elimination, by swapping in/out parts.

I ended up having to replace; a number of parts, to eliminate a flutter and boost hesitation boost issue i struggled with.

Read more here:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the update. Its the AWV engine code, 2001 beetle sport gls 5spd. I did notice that when using the dv in stock orientation, I do get some slight idling issues on cold start, backwards orientation feels like its stock. Only difference is just a mild bird chirp when lifting off throttle, my data logs show boost holding around 8-10 psi throughout the gears. As for the DV, its from AmZn and shipped out from the US, (I'm in Canada). The build quality is decent, springs are not that bad and I went ahead and replaced all O-rings with better quality ones I had on hand. I also replaced all the vacuum lines with high quality vacuum hoses I got from a buddy for free overall I do not really notice much, however the brief hesitation or lag I was getting appears to be less pronounced and picks up a bit quicker.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
Well, i would test it, confirm it holds vacuum and if you have another good one; you could compare things, see if, there is a difference in boost or if the flutter issues go away. For orientation, i would follow what the manufacturer recommends and then, decide, how it performs best to you, in real world usage.

I can't vouch for the quality of your new dv; like most things, you get what you pay for, i recommend known quality brands like Forge, (the latest 008 dv model is amazing)! If you can still return your off brand dv to Amazon; you might do that and get a better quality one like Forge Motorsports. Forge UK has a long history in the VW/Audi tuning world, plus amazing USA customer service and support, into the future. So, the Forge 008 is pretty expensive @ $180 but I got a used one (used ones come up on sites like vwvortex or ebay all the time). I installed a rebuild kit for it and it works very well; the build quality is impressive.

Beyond that, hesitation and flutter boost issues; for me, ended up being worn, soft failure modes with my n249 and n75 valves. (Read my link; to see what my experience and testing process was).

Once, the dv, n75, n249 were replaced with new oem parts (Pierburg, Eaton, etc.); the boost quality, was finally restored and it was more responsive, smooth with no more, flutter issues! A solid fix! :)

For VW parts, you might check fcpeuro; all their parts, have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, I fitted a new diverter valve along with N75 and I can hear some flutter action when lifting off. The instructions for the DV say to install it reversed to stock orientation. Have a look at the pics, let me know what you think. I have it the factory orientation with the red spring without spacers which claim it's good for 8-22psi. I can swap it over, but need a longer vacuum hose for the nipple. Car is on stock tune, kn filter in stock air box with snow box removed. 3" downpipe to high flow cat to 3" exhaust with bullet style muffler. * Just swapped it around and really no difference, just a mouse sneeze under boost lifting off so not sure what's best. Boost holds around 8psi both ways. View attachment 251228 View attachment 251229 View attachment 251230
Put a check valve in the vacuum line to the DV. That’s why you’re getting fluttering. The vacuum/boost flow is moving unchecked in both directions in the vacuum line. Check valve will fix it and give you the solid psshhh you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts